Forum Discussion

richie
Community Hero
6 years ago
Solved

Is there anyway to parameterize a REST APIs Query PARMS?

Hi,

I've been trying to find alternative ways around the same problem - and I asked a similar question today but perhaps from a different perspective - so I apologise if this appears to be the same post although I dont think it is.

Oh - Ive just reread the other post - and it looks like i did ask virtually the same question - but I was rambling a lot and dont think I was very clear in my question - this I think is a lot clearer than my original post

If you look at the image above - you can see I tried parameterizing the REST QUERY PARM NAME value using a custom property I'd created on the testcase.

It didn't work - is there anyway to parameterize the actual name of the parm?

thanks - it seems a bit rubbish that you cant parameterize the parm name - there must be a way to do it .

can anyone steer me in the right direction?

thanks to all!

richie

• Hi richie,

It should work but it is not ${TestCase#value} but ${#TestCase#value}.

ReadyApi has the following rules:

1. If you define the scope you put a # in front of it like in: {#TestCase#...}, {#Project#...} or ${#TestSuite#...}

2. If you are reffering to a test step you use it without a # like in ${GetSessionId#...}

Cheers!

• richie

using groovy we can add parameters at run time.kindly, try the below code snippet:-

def step=testRunner.testCase.getTestStepByName("REST")
    def req=step.httpRequest
    req.removeProperty("name")
    req.getParams().each{
    log.info it.value.name
    }

//required to add field before setting the value  
    req.addProperty("name")

// set the new field value
    req.setPropertyValue("name","abc")

Did my reply answer your question? Give Kudos or Accept it as a Solution to help others.Smiley Wink

11 Replies

Lucian
    Community Hero

Hi richie,

It should work but it is not ${TestCase#value} but ${#TestCase#value}.

ReadyApi has the following rules:

1. If you define the scope you put a # in front of it like in: {#TestCase#...}, {#Project#...} or ${#TestSuite#...}

2. If you are reffering to a test step you use it without a # like in ${GetSessionId#...}

Cheers!

richie
      Community Hero

Hey Lucian and All

specifying the property expansion scope didn't appear to work as hoped! :(

I have the following specified as parms on my GET request

Name                                                              Value                                                                   Type

Namespace                                                   ${#TestSuite#Namespace}                               Template

Dataset                                                           ${#TestSuite#dataset}                                       Template

CertificateType_Name                                  ${Properties 1#CertificateType_Name}          Query

${#TestCase#QueryParmName}                 ${#TestCase#QueryParmName}                      Query

HOWEVER - the query string for the GET REST request reads as follows:

?CertificateType_Name=Other certificates&${#Testcase#QueryParmName}=QueryParmValue

n.b. the TestCase has the parameter 'QueryParmName' with the value 'QueryParmValue' specified -but I was hoping that instead of 

?CertificateType_Name=Other certificates&${#Testcase#QueryParmName}=QueryParmValue

It would generate as 

?CertificateType_Name=Other certificates&QueryParmName=QueryParmValue

As you can see - my query string doesn't appear to be replacing the query parm name as I want it to - despite using the correct prop expansion scope.

Can anyone clarify?  I'm sure I've done this before and it worked fine - I just cant remember how I managed it!

Thanks to all!

richie

Lucian
        Community Hero

hey richie,

I am sorry that this didn't work for you. I will come back with a response later today.

• richie

using groovy we can add parameters at run time.kindly, try the below code snippet:-

def step=testRunner.testCase.getTestStepByName("REST")
    def req=step.httpRequest
    req.removeProperty("name")
    req.getParams().each{
    log.info it.value.name
    }

//required to add field before setting the value  
    req.addProperty("name")

// set the new field value
    req.setPropertyValue("name","abc")

Did my reply answer your question? Give Kudos or Accept it as a Solution to help others.Smiley Wink

TanyaYatskovska
      SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi richie,

Do Lucian's and ashu248's suggestions help you? Please accept a solution to highlight the best answer and give Kudos to the replies that you like.