Forum Discussion

11 years ago

How to feed data from an excel to an array?

Hi,

Can anyone please let me know how can I pass values to an array?
I have a requirement where a set of values occur more than once. The number of times the set occur differs for each request. Please help me to automate this scenario.

Thanks,
Chethan

6 Replies

• Hi,

You can add a DataSource test step, add excel file as DataSource and add a groovy script test step, add a loop.
    So lets assume that you have a DataSource property "number" which you want to add in array. Create a test case property "main_array".

DataSource
    Groovy Script test step
    Data Source loop (DataSource > Groovy Script test step)

In the groovy script test step add,

if( context["array"] == null ) context["array"] = []

context["array"] << context.expand( '${DataSource#Number}' )

//log.info context["array"]
    // Set the array in testcase property named main array
    testRunner.testCase.setPropertyValue( "main_array", context["array"])

This should work!

Thanks,
    Jeshtha
      Gareth
      New Contributor

Hi,

I have the same problem but the solution proposed does not work.

I get this error when running the Groovy script:

groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.WsdlTestCasePro.setPropertyValue() is applicable for argument types: (java.lang.String, java.util.ArrayList) values: [modelOptions, [W5]] Possible solutions: setPropertyValue(java.lang.String, java.lang.String), getPropertyValue(java.lang.String) error at line: 7

It seems the code is attempting to set a property with an array (java.util.ArrayList) but the method only works setting a string (java.lang.String). I have searched the forums for a solution to this i.e. setting a property with an array - but have not found it.

Can you please advise how to take a list of values (e.g. in Excel) and then convert that to an array (JSON in this case) to set in a Request.

JKambli
        Staff

Convert the array to string since testCase properties can only save strings, you can reconvert it to array when you wish to reuse it.

Thanks