Forum Discussion

qakat
Occasional Contributor
10 months ago

Results by Label Report

Is it possible to specify which labels are displayed in the "Test execution results by label" report instead of having to display all of them?

11 Replies

qakat
      Occasional Contributor

Considering that the items they have "In Progress" and "Planned" have less votes (combined) than all but one of the items "Under Consideration", I'm not sure that voting does any good...

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

Yes it's possible.  Select the Custom Query filter option, then go into the Test Case section and add a condition to filter by label (either In or Not In).  Once you start typing some text the labels will appear and you can click on them to select.  

1. Enter your project(s) name

2. Choose Custom Query

3. Select the Label field

4. Select In/Not In and add your label(s) to include/exclude

qakat
      Occasional Contributor

That's not at all what I was asking.

I want to filter the labels displayed in the report, not remove all results that have a particular label. Results can have more than one label! The filtering you describe would invalidate the numbers shown for labels I do want to see in my report by removing any results that have both the label I want to see and the label I don't.

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

Can I suggest that you re-read your original post and consider how little information was provided and how that could be interpreted, then consider the effort I went to with my post, and then take a look at your reply, the language you used, and the exclamation point you added.  Then ask yourself if that was the right response to give to someone who is volunteering (I don't work for SmartBear) to help you.  Let me know what you think 🙂

qakat
      Occasional Contributor

There's always a balance in these things to providing too much information, and not enough.  Asking to "specify which labels are displayed" seemed pretty specific that my question was related to the labels themselves, and not the results.

How would you suggest I could have phrased this to make it clearer?

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

I'm not actually concerned about how the question was phrased - we're all prone to miscommunication and misunderstanding.  You asked if it was possible to choose which labels to display, I gave you a solution that answered the question.  You then further clarified what it was you actually wanted and I can work with that to refine the solution, but what I didn't appreciate is the tone: "That's not at all what I was asking.", "Results can have more than one label!" - to my mind, these could have been phrased in a less combative way.

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

To answer your question, I don't think you can do what you're looking for in the Labels report - it would need to have a post-generation function to click labels on/off like it does for the execution statuses.  If it was sufficient for you to see a list of test cases that fit your criteria, that is possible using the logic I described above: you would see only test cases that have a label IN(x, y, z), but this is a very different report to what you were originally looking for.

If you could describe your use case I might be able to help suggest an alternative way to achieve the same result.  Alternatively, you could export the dataset from your report and work with that in Excel - I don't know of any other option.

qakat
      Occasional Contributor

Yes, this seems to be another example of Reports being the weakest part of the Zephyr toolset.  So far, reporting limitations have been my biggest frustration with using Zephyr.

Example use case-  Individual test cases are grouped by functional area in the UI, because that's what makes sense on the development side and the testing side.  Features may cross multiple functional areas and may overlap.  A single release can include multiple Features.  Product wants a report on regression testing progress for a release by Feature.  How do I do that?  Since there's overlap between the Features, it doesn't make sense to put their test cases in separate test plans, because then the same test would need to be run twice for each test plan.  Tracking Features by label isn't good either because the report would include labels that aren't relevant to this release.  We could associate test cases with a specific 'Feature' ticket and group them that way, but the 'traceability' type reports seemed to only be grid-based, not charts.

And having to export the dataset in order to create the report completely negates the biggest advantage of going with Zephyr as our test management tool- Product can look at QA progress in a dashboard whenever they want to.  It's incredibly frustrating.  (And not your fault, I know!  I do appreciate your taking a look and seeing if there'a any other options I've missed.)

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

I'm 100% in agreement with you about reports being a weak spot in Zephyr Scale.  I've been using it for almost 3 years and the same data bugs and feature gaps are still present.  It's a point of frustration for me as a test manager (and former report developer) to not see any investment in this area.

As to the scenario you describe it's not an easy one to make work.  I have some ideas but will give it some thought.