Forum Discussion

Bob_C
Occasional Contributor
19 days ago
Solved

JQL Search for Estimated Time is NULL / BLANK

Is there a way to do a query/filter on estimatedTime that has not yet been entered?

I was able to find this information:

https://support.smartbear.com/zephyr-scale-server/docs/en/jql-functions.html#UUID-bb04c337-22d6-fee6-7703-b4515a68234c_N1697097036420

I saw this example in the documentation and it seems to work as expected, but is limited to only filter an exact value:

project = MGS and issue in coveredByTestCasesHavingField("estimatedTime", "03:00")

I would like to use this to find all issues with test cases where the estimatedTime has not yet been entered.  I tried using synatax of ("estimatedTime", NULL) and ("estimatedTime", BLANK) and these did not work.  I also used ("estimatedTime", 00:00) but this is not the same as it not being entered.

As a follow-on related question: is there a way to use this to search for estimatedTime > 00:05 or < 00:05 as an example?

• I was able to talk to a coworker and he helped figure this out.  Wanted to let other's know the solution.  

I found out that you can find estimated time ranges within the query.

1. project = MGS and issue in coveredByTestCasesHavingField("estimatedTime", "00:00" , "00:05")
    2. project = MGS and issue in coveredByTestCasesHavingField("estimatedTime", "00:05" , "99:59")

Query 1 will give estimated times  <= 5 minutes, and Query 2 will give estimated times >= 5 minutes.

Armed with this knowledge, we realized we can find empty estimated times by finding anything outside the 0 to 99 hour range.

project = MGS and issue NOT IN coveredByTestCasesHavingField("estimatedTime", "00:00" , "99:59")

This method requires that a test case is linked to an issue. There may be another way to do this, I am interested to hear if there are other solutions, or better yet if there is a way to do this within Zephyr without needing to be linked to an issue.

1 Reply

Bob_C
    Occasional Contributor

I was able to talk to a coworker and he helped figure this out.  Wanted to let other's know the solution.  

I found out that you can find estimated time ranges within the query.

1. project = MGS and issue in coveredByTestCasesHavingField("estimatedTime", "00:00" , "00:05")
    2. project = MGS and issue in coveredByTestCasesHavingField("estimatedTime", "00:05" , "99:59")

Query 1 will give estimated times  <= 5 minutes, and Query 2 will give estimated times >= 5 minutes.

Armed with this knowledge, we realized we can find empty estimated times by finding anything outside the 0 to 99 hour range.

project = MGS and issue NOT IN coveredByTestCasesHavingField("estimatedTime", "00:00" , "99:59")

This method requires that a test case is linked to an issue. There may be another way to do this, I am interested to hear if there are other solutions, or better yet if there is a way to do this within Zephyr without needing to be linked to an issue.