Forum Discussion

darshanhira
Occasional Contributor
3 months ago

Darshan Hiranandani : How do you create and maintain a visual test suite for a web application?

Hii, I'm Darshan Hiranandani, I'm interested in learning about the process of creating and maintaining a visual test suite for a web application. Can anyone share their insights or best practices on how to effectively set up and manage visual tests to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the application's UI? Additionally, what strategies do you use to keep the visual test suite updated and relevant as the application evolves over time? Your expertise would be greatly appreciated!

1 Reply

Latonya86Dodson
    Occasional Visitor
    darshanhiraBeBallPlayers wrote:

Hii, I'm Darshan Hiranandani, I'm interested in learning about the process of creating and maintaining a visual test suite for a web application. Can anyone share their insights or best practices on how to effectively set up and manage visual tests to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the application's UI? Additionally, what strategies do you use to keep the visual test suite updated and relevant as the application evolves over time? Your expertise would be greatly appreciated!

Hello,

A visual test suite is a collection of automated tests that verify the appearance and functionality of a web application’s user interface (UI). Visual tests can help you detect UI bugs, layout issues, and design inconsistencies across different browsers and devices.

To create and maintain a visual test suite for a web application, you need to follow some steps:

Choose a suitable tool or framework for visual testing. There are many options available, such as Selenium, Cypress, Appium, Playwright, Visual Studio Test Professional, Rainforest QA, Guru99, and Test Studio. Each tool has its own features, benefits, and limitations, so you need to evaluate them based on your requirements, budget, and skills.

Define the scope and objectives of your visual tests. You need to decide what aspects of the UI you want to test, such as colors, fonts, images, buttons, menus, forms, etc. You also need to define the expected outcomes and acceptance criteria for each test case.

Record or write your visual tests. Depending on the tool you use, you can either record your actions on the web application using a browser extension or a graphical user interface (GUI), or write your test scripts using a programming language or a domain-specific language (DSL). You need to make sure your tests are clear, concise, and consistent.

Run your visual tests and analyze the results. You need to execute your tests on different browsers, devices, and screen resolutions to check the UI compatibility and responsiveness. You also need to compare the actual UI with the expected UI using image comparison techniques, such as pixel-by-pixel comparison, perceptual diff, or AI-based visual validation. You need to review the test results and identify any UI defects or deviations.

Update and maintain your visual test suite. As the web application evolves over time, you need to keep your visual test suite updated and relevant. You need to add new tests for new features or changes, modify existing tests for UI enhancements or fixes, and delete obsolete tests for removed or deprecated elements. You also need to refactor and optimize your test code to improve its readability, maintainability, and performance.

These are some of the basic steps to create and maintain a visual test suite for a web application. I hope this answer was helpful and informative. 

Best regards,
    Latonya86Dodson