Forum Discussion

sdruker
Contributor
10 years ago
Solved

Where is the data of the run is stored

Hi,

I'm trying to write a kind of "runner" to my keywordtests.

I want to update the test vars and params from outside testcomplete according to external input file.

I can't find where the varaibles  and parameters are modified during run.

I see that each keywordtest has xml file with all the test data however ,  each params have default value attribute.

My question is if I set value to variable during test and not using the default value, in which testcomplet file I can see this modification because this is exactly the same place where I would like to update values from my input file.

Thanks in advance,

Silvana

• Why don't you use testcomplete inbuild funtionalities to feed data?
    testcomplete is runner itself..would you mind explaining what u like to achieve

4 Replies

NisHera
    Valued Contributor

Why don't you use testcomplete inbuild funtionalities to feed data?
    testcomplete is runner itself..would you mind explaining what u like to achieve

sdruker
      Contributor

Yes  I would love to.

In a high level, We are doing web functionality automation testing.

Our automation is based mostly on keywordtests.

The keywordtest's operations are getting Parameters\Variables.

In order to make the tests more flexiable ,I'm trying to pass these parameters\Variables using external files.

I faced into  3 major problems that I'm trying to deal with:

1. I can't acess the keywordtests parameters (Only while the desired keywordtests is run) and  therefore I can't set values from external files.

2. When using Data Driven Loop inside a keywordtest there is no way to change the csv\excel file path , it is harcoded which is not good for me

3. Keywordtests which are called from inside another keywordtest : I can't access them, I can't get any indication that the test is running or stated\finished  ,Actually I don't know anything about them (test name, no event is fired onstart\on stop) so again, I can't set\get their input\output data

One of the solutions that I tought about is to set the data from outside , by editing the tests xml's.

And I tohugth that in order to controll the execuation process It would be necassary to build a kind of "Runner" based on the groups structure that were built in the "Organize tests" page

by running the tests from the "Runner" I'm acctually calling the tests on my own from a script and I can pass parameters, regarding the variables, I build a function that access  keywordtest var and set it's value .

From there came my previous question, where the data is stored...

sorry in advance for the tedious explanation

Hope I managed to explain myself,

Any suggestions?

Thanks In advance!

NisHera
        Valued Contributor

Im not full aware of limitations of keyword tests(I'm doing scripting)
        But I think in key word testing
        1) there are facilities to feed data from external files such as XL using DDT loop
        2) can use variable for for xl file path and change it as u need
        3) read between lines....it seems you have lot of legacy tests written by somebody without proper structure/documents. Which you have to maintain.
        If that is the senario ...what I think is no easyway out.