Forum Discussion

jeffrey_crowley
Contributor
11 years ago
Solved

TestComplete 9 support for Firefox 21?

I'm trying to run automation against Firefox 21 using TestComplete 9. It works fine with IE and Chrome but other than launch FF, I can't navigate, etc. I'm assuming that this is because I'm patched through FF 20 and it doesn't support 21.

When will there be a patch to add Firefox 21 support to TestComplete 9? I looked on the Firefox patches page and it only currently supports up to 20.

9 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Jeff,

> why not just release one and call it tcFFHook.dll

I think that with the generic dll name it will be not clear what version of browser is supported by this given dll. And with this absolutely not clear for me speed of releasing versions of Firefox/Chrome that are more or less incompatible with one another, it is not always a matter of two days for SmartBear to perform regression tests, correct found problems, do a final test run and release a patch.

With a named dlls it is more clear if the given version of the browser is supported or not yet. Just my undrstanding...

> Why not just 21?

Just another guess: what if your business requirement is to support FF v20 and do not care for some time about higher versions? In this case you can use (stable) support for v20 and not be blocked by some problems that were introduced for the lower versions because of added support for the latest v21...
  • Thanks for the heads up.

Another quick question about patches...

This patch has dlls for FF 19, 20, and 21. Is, for example, the FF 19 patch the same as in the last patch or is the fact that it's included in this patch mean it's been updated?

Thanks.
    AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Jeff,

While I believe that Support will provide you with definite answer, my guess is that the patch dlls were created when the corresponding version of the browser was released and that the dll for the higher version of the browser should contain support for lower versions.

• I think I've read that elsewhere too but what doesn't make sense to me if that's true is why would they release a patch zip that contains dlls for 19, 20, and 21? Why not just 21? Why have numbered versions at all... why not just release one and call it tcFFHook.dll and it supports whatever it supports. ... dunno... hopefully support will come along and help me understand some of this.

Thanks for the response though.