obaid_shirwani
Contributor
10 years ago
Solved

Periodic server backup and restore points

Hi folks,

I have a dedicated TestComplete server with TestComplete node locked license:

I need to know the following.

1. Can we backup the whole server (OS and all contents) periodically without having any issues with the TestComplete license?

2. In case, the current server fails or crashes, can we restore it to any point in time without having TestComplete licensing issues?

Regards,

Obaid Shirwani

• Hi Obaid,

Restoring the license will require contacting our Customer Care on both cases. They will need to release the license blocked on the damaged HDD or on the stolen laptop.

3 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Obaid,

Restoring the license will require contacting our Customer Care on both cases. They will need to release the license blocked on the damaged HDD or on the stolen laptop.

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Obaid,

See my comments below:

>>1. Can we backup the whole server (OS and all contents) periodically without having any issues with the TestComplete license?

The backup itself shouldn't affect the license. However, if you restore the system from the backup, the licenses will be blocked.

>>2. In case, the current server fails or crashes, can we restore it to any point in time without having TestComplete licensing issues?

The TestComplete licenses are bound to the motherboard ID and master hard-drive serial number of your server. If they remain, there should be no issues with the license blocking.

• Thank you for the resp.

Servers crash usually occurs with a harddisk failure. 

I have a few more questions in regard to your response:

1. What if the server's harddisk crashes? Can we replace the crashed HDD with a new HDD, restore the server  to the last restore point and start using TestComplete?

2. What if TestComplete is setup on a laptop with a node loacked license. The laptop gets lost / stolen / destroyed etc? Can we setup TestComplete on another system in this case?

Regards