Forum Discussion

p_bremm11
Contributor
10 years ago
Solved

Disable Code Syntax

When I run my test (pressing F5) takes about 5 minutes to start because the TestComplete verifies the syntax of my project. How can I turn off syntax checking?

• I was unable to find a way to disable this, but I imagine it's necessary for TestComplete to function properly.

I would suggest checking out Data-Driven Testing for improving your test performance (if you haven't already).

Instead of storing all of your scripts and data in numerous routines and scripts you could have a smaller collection of scripts to drive your automated tests.

• It might make a difference, but my guess is the bottleneck is at the CPU.

Depending on how TestComplete is parsing the script it might make no difference at all....it's hard to say.

If you plan to keep building on these scripts you will only see longer and longer start times so I would suggest researching a different method of automation like I previously suggested.

6 Replies

Ryan_Moran
    Valued Contributor

That's quite a long time. How many routines/lines of code do you have exactly?

p_bremm11
      Contributor

In total, 280.770 lines. 3215 routines.

I would like to disable syntax checking. precisely because of the large amount.
      I would use the syntax checking only when I implement major changes.

Ryan_Moran
    Valued Contributor

I was unable to find a way to disable this, but I imagine it's necessary for TestComplete to function properly.

I would suggest checking out Data-Driven Testing for improving your test performance (if you haven't already).

Instead of storing all of your scripts and data in numerous routines and scripts you could have a smaller collection of scripts to drive your automated tests.

p_bremm11
      Contributor

I am only studying ideas for improving the start. For divide my pojeto in stages, so I have 60 steps times 5 minutes = 300 minutes lost.

Do you believe that if I make an investment in your computer (eg SSD), decrease boot time?

Ryan_Moran
        Valued Contributor

It might make a difference, but my guess is the bottleneck is at the CPU.

Depending on how TestComplete is parsing the script it might make no difference at all....it's hard to say.

If you plan to keep building on these scripts you will only see longer and longer start times so I would suggest researching a different method of automation like I previously suggested.