Forum Discussion

etienne_smith
Occasional Contributor
11 years ago
Solved

Copying/cloning existing project and changing scripting language at the same time

I am in the situation where a project has been created for JScript but it really needs to be in VBScript.

As I understand this change can only be achieved by creating a new project.  What I need is a way to clone the current project and have the clone use a different scripting language.  Is this possible?

• Hi Etienne,

I suggest that you convert your JScript script to a script extension. After this, you can add the created script extension to TestComplete and call needed functions declared inside the extension from any projects including your project with VBScript. 

The "Script Extensions" article and those related contains full information on how to do this.

2 Replies

etienne_smith
    Occasional Contributor
    The current project has been created for JScript but I want to use VBScript instead (long story).

What I have done so far is to create a new project (selecting the scripting language I want which is VBScript) and copying over only the folders in the root project folder from the old JScript project:

KeywordTests

Log

NameMapping

Script

Stores

TestedApps

That seems to have worked so far. When opening the new project after copying the folders across TC says that it has attempted to convert all 'Code Snippets' to the new scripting language but that it may have corrupted them.  The existing JScript scripts though are untouched and I will manually need to convert those. Hopefully it will not prove too difficult.

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Etienne,

I suggest that you convert your JScript script to a script extension. After this, you can add the created script extension to TestComplete and call needed functions declared inside the extension from any projects including your project with VBScript. 

The "Script Extensions" article and those related contains full information on how to do this.