Forum Discussion

John_Laird
Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

code snippet throws exception where same logic in script routine does not

My goal is to read a text file and set it to a variable in my keyword test. Simple. Got it done but noted an inconsistency between script routines and code snippets and wanted to understand why...

So I have this line of code in a script routine:

def TestCopyFile():
  KeywordTests.SwitchConfiguration.Variables.desired_olist = aqFile.ReadWholeTextFile("C:\\imports\\exportCompare\\lictest.txt", aqFile.ctANSI)

I have the same code in a 'run code snippet' operation (without the 'def' line of course):

KeywordTests.SwitchConfiguration.Variables.desired_olist = aqFile.ReadWholeTextFile("C:\\imports\\exportCompare\\lictest.txt", aqFile.ctANSI)

The script routine consistently executes without error but the code snippet always throws this exception to the TC log:

An error occurred while executing the code snippet: SyntaxError
invalid syntax

If I take out this variable setting logic from the code snippet operation:

KeywordTests.SwitchConfiguration.Variables.desired_olist = 

Then the snippet does execute without error. Not terribly useful though since nothing gets assigned. I can work around this but seems odd because that variable string is generated with the "Select Variable..." button so I would think it would be legal.

My question is, is setting a variable this way in a code snippet expected to cause an exception? Is this me doing something wrong, a bug, or a limitation?

Thanks,

John

• Since you are doing a keyword test anyways, is there a reason why you are not setting the variable using the "Set Variable Value" keyword? When you do so, you have the option to set the value to the result of a code expression. You can then enter in the code expression your aqFile part of the code and that should work.  See the attached screenshot for reference.

3 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Since you are doing a keyword test anyways, is there a reason why you are not setting the variable using the "Set Variable Value" keyword? When you do so, you have the option to set the value to the result of a code expression. You can then enter in the code expression your aqFile part of the code and that should work.  See the attached screenshot for reference.

John_Laird
      Contributor

I was running the code snippet and then setting the variable in the next operation to 'Last Operation Result'. Your solution is better...didn't see that drop down item. Thanks.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

Glad I could help!  Hopefully, this works for you.