Forum Discussion

rameshberkhout
New Contributor
5 months ago

Data Sink step in ReadyAPI (v3.49.0) retains data from previous runs and does not append

Previously We had a build that created an excel file and filled it with data. Now, the last Data SInk step does not append.

I made a new project to test this.

Step 1: Delete the file

Step 2: Data sink 1 with header information on the first row (no append, start at A1) -> A1 = A, B1 = B

Step 3: Data sink with data, append to end file (A2 = 1, B2 = 2)

If I execute all 3 steps seperately it works as expected. (A1 = A, B1 = B, A2 = 1, B2 = 2)

This is the desirable outcome. If I execute all steps seperately again, it will show the same outcome (also desirable), because step 1 will delete the file and start all over again with step 2.

However, if I run the testcase (all 3 steps) it seems to overwrite the first row, retain data and append that to the end of the file.

So:

Run 1 (step 1, 2 & 3) = A1= 1, B1 = 2 (overwrites step 2?)

Run 2 (step 1, 2 & 3) = A1= 1, B1 = 2, A2 = 1, B2 = 2

This is not how it worked before, and will lead to errors later (since the headers A & B are now overwritten)

3 Replies

richie
    Community Hero
    Hey rameshberkhout,

When you say "before" and "previously" it worked differently, can you be a bit more specific as to what has changed during the intervening time?

Just to be clear, i'm not criticising, but several people have recently posted about what appears to be regressions introduced in v3.49 of ReadyAPI!, so i'm curious whether this is the case for you also.

If it is due to you upgrading your ReadyAPI! instance, Smartbear will need to be made aware of the regression, would you please raise a ticket --> https://support.smartbear.com/readyapi/message/

If the changes aren't due to changing ReadyAPI! version, can you clarify what has changed?

Cheers,

Rich
      rameshberkhout
      New Contributor

Rich,

There were no changes to our  solution. Before upgrading to version 3.49, the project worked as expected. Now, it seems that either data is retained/stored in a TestCase Run (without changing any preferences or saving the data in any other way), which makes the Data Sink not work as expected (it does not append to file, overwrites the top row and also keeps adding more data with each run, while the first step should start with a clean slate). I already made a ticket, I hope to hear from SmartBear soon. This only happens when you run the TestCase (all steps in order from TestCase/TestSuite level), if you execute the steps seperately, it works like expected.

richie
        Community Hero

Hey rameshberkhout 

So it's the new version that's the cause of the issue?  Did you upgrade to v3.49 because you needed v3.49 (perhaps you needed v3.49 because it included a code change you needed)?

If there was no specific reason you upgraded to v3.49 other than you were running an older version and felt it was time to upgrade - could you downgrade back to the previous version for now until the issue impacting your testing is resolved? 

Cheers,

Rich