Forum Discussion

piwil
New Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

What is a purpose of Iteration field?

Hi, 

Can anyone advise what is the purpose of the 'Iteration' field displayed for Test Cycles. Of course, I imagine it can be mapped to sprints in jira to plan test execution fit to entire development cycle (one iteration / sprint) and track the test progress.
However, wouldn't it be better if 'Iteration' parameter stored and displayed values coming from 'Sprint' filed from Jira to avoid redundant activities?

• Hi,

As an educated guess only...

I could see them being useful if you have a test plan with multiple cycles and those cycles are going to be executed multiple times.  In that scenario, using the iteration field would enable you to monitor which cycles have been executed 'x' number of times (the Iteration field is available in the Cycle 'home' window).

For example, you would setup your iteration values as 1, 2, & 3.  All cycles would have iteration 1 set against them, and then when a cycle is complete you would move that cycle onto iteration 2, and so on.  Now, when you go into the Cycle page (and you show the Iteration column), you can see at a glance how each of the cycles is doing.

I've not used the feature myself but it could be useful.

Andy

1 Reply

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

As an educated guess only...

I could see them being useful if you have a test plan with multiple cycles and those cycles are going to be executed multiple times.  In that scenario, using the iteration field would enable you to monitor which cycles have been executed 'x' number of times (the Iteration field is available in the Cycle 'home' window).

For example, you would setup your iteration values as 1, 2, & 3.  All cycles would have iteration 1 set against them, and then when a cycle is complete you would move that cycle onto iteration 2, and so on.  Now, when you go into the Cycle page (and you show the Iteration column), you can see at a glance how each of the cycles is doing.

I've not used the feature myself but it could be useful.

Andy