Forum Discussion

marshanskaya
New Contributor
3 years ago

Zephyr Scale test management - Reports: Test Execution Burn Down

Hello,

Has anyone manage to make Test Execution Burn Down report work?

1. There are two boxes for Actual End date - "Start Date" and "End Date". I don't quite understand what is this range supposed to be : "Start Date" and "End Date" of Actual End date.  No matter what End Date I am giving it, I cannot make ideal burndown to go to 0 by that date.

For example, I give it End Date of June 25, but ideal burndown still goes to 0 at Apr 19, which is last week. How do I make it burn down by June 25?

2. It does not seem to show the number on Not Executed test cases on Apr 19 correctly.

Thanks a lot in advance for any suggestion!

3 Replies

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

Have you checked if your Test Cycle has Planned Start and Planned End dates?  I think this is what drives the chart logic.  After that, the Actual Start Date and Actual End Date are used as the start and end dates for the chart (note: both of those fields are automated by the tester clicking to start the testing and the status changing to Pass or Fail, etc.).

Hope that helps.

Andy

marshanskaya
      New Contributor

Hi Andy,

Thank you for taking the time to look into my issue!

I set Planned Start Date of the cycle to 12/Apr/21 and Start End Date to 30/May/21.

My cycle has 8 test cases.

Before I executed any of the test cases, the burndown chart did not get generated with the message: "Try modifying the filter criteria to display some information". I expected to see ideal trend starting with 8 test cases and burning them down to 0 by May 30/21. 

I executed two test cases, and they got Actual Start Date and Actual End Date of today - 4/29/21. Now when I generate the report I see these two executed test cases, but I don't see that I still have to execute 6 test cases (total test cases in the cycle = 8), and I don't see ideal trend.

Will try executing more test cases tomorrow and see if this changes anything.

Thanks,

Marina

MisterB
        Champion Level 3

Hi Marina,

Unfortunately I find that the burn-down/up charts don't work as I (and you) would like them to, which seems to be the case from what you're saying.  The burn up/down charts only show executed test cases which might be OK fine if you want to get a sense of velocity/speed but not if you want to see how your execution rate is going to plan.  I'm sorry to report that in the end the only way I could do this was to to export the data and build an Excel report (but there are templates you can use if you do an internet search).

Hopefully, these charts will be developed further in the future ğŸ™‚

Andy