Forum Discussion

AlG
Occasional Contributor
4 years ago
Solved

Linking R4J Requirements to Zephyr Scale (TM4J) Test Cases

We are using Jira (on our server) with the Zephyr Scale (TM4J) plugin for our Test Cases and R4J plugin for our Requirments management. The issue I have is regarding impact analysis with these two different Jira plugins.

It seems that our requirements tool cannot see Zephyr Scale test cases as they're not proper Jira Issue types.

The only (somewhat clunky) solution I can see is to use the Jira 'Test Case' issue type as a middle man between the requirement and the test case or to use a tool like easyBI to take data from R4J and TM4J and generate some kind of report, again not ideal.

Has anyone else faced this issue? Are there any plans to change Zephyr Scale (TM4J) to use proper issue types? We have both plugins already so need to try and make this work, not willing to buy another plugin.

Any advice appreciated

Cheers Al

AlG
    4 years ago

Thanks for your response vpelizza . To be fair this is the answer that I was expecting but had to ask the question in case someone had solved this issue. 

We did try Zephyr for Jira and frankly, we judged TM4J to meet our needs better than Zephyr, hence the reason we went for TM4J knowing that we'd have an issue between R4J and TM4J.

We can implement a solution in house for this issue using the Rest API, but before we do that I wanted to check there wasn't a better solution before we spend man hours fixing this.

Many thanks & seasons greetings

Alec

2 Replies

• Hi AlG,

You are right, as test cases in Zephyr Scale are not regular Jira issues, they can't be linked indeed. And yes, creating a Jira issue of type "Test" just as a bridge to the test case is far from ideal, I agree 😕

Unfortunately, this is unlikely to change in Zephyr Scale due to the nature of the tool being connected to using its own data structure rather than Jira issues. One option I can think of would be to migrate to Zephyr for Jira which uses Jira issues for test cases, if this requirement is a must for you. Another option would be to get in touch with the C4J folks and check whether they'd be planning to build an integration with Zephyr Scale - they could do this using Zephyr Scale APIs.

I hope that helps!

AlG
      Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response vpelizza . To be fair this is the answer that I was expecting but had to ask the question in case someone had solved this issue. 

We did try Zephyr for Jira and frankly, we judged TM4J to meet our needs better than Zephyr, hence the reason we went for TM4J knowing that we'd have an issue between R4J and TM4J.

We can implement a solution in house for this issue using the Rest API, but before we do that I wanted to check there wasn't a better solution before we spend man hours fixing this.

Many thanks & seasons greetings

Alec