Forum Discussion

JohanS
Occasional Contributor
4 years ago
Solved

How to find test cases that are retestable (i.e. all defects linked to it are resolved)

Is there any other way to find out which test cases are retestable (i.e. all defects linked to it are resolved) than to check test case by case if the linked issues have been resolved?

• Hi Johan,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been on holiday.  Here's another way to do this.  It's not perfect because you can't define criteria to show only issues of a specific status but it's not too difficult to scroll through the list.

Go to Reports > Test Execution > Test execution results impacted by issues

Choose Custom Query

Under the Test execution criteria add the following:

- Has linked issues  Is  True

- Result  Not in  Pass  (and then add any other non-relevant statuses, e.g. Not Applicable)

Hope it helps!

Andy

4 Replies

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

In Reports:

- Select the report: Test execution results impacted by issues

- Select your project

- Use the Custom Query filter option to build your criteria:

- In the Test Execution section, add the criteria of Has Linked Issues Is True

- And add another criteria in the same Test Execution section: Result In Fail

This combination will not show you which defects have been fixed (I'm not sure if that's possible), but, it will show you all failed test cases and their associated defect status, and you can scan down the list to find which defects have been fixed

Perhaps a better way of managing this is from the defect side, creating filters to help you keep track of defects that are in a status of Resolved or Cancelled, and then reviewing those to make sure that the linked test cases are set to Pass. 

MisterB
      Champion Level 3

If you build an Issues filter to show all defects that have a status that denotes that the defect is ready for re-test, you can then use the Report called Traceability Matrix.  In that report, select your project, then Filter By Issue, and choose the custom Issues Filter you created.  If the issues and test cases are linked, you should be able to see a matrix showing what you need.

JohanS
        Occasional Contributor

Thanks MisterB! This would be very handy but I don't quite get it to work. I get a list of the defects, but it says that no test cases are found. From the defect I can see that the test case is linked to the test case as there is the "Impacted test executions" part. 

If a change the defect filter to a story filter instead I can see that the traceability matrix works. Are the defects somehow linked wrong to the test case? Links have been done using  "Create issue"  found in the test case execution view.