Forum Discussion

brisingr
New Contributor
4 years ago

Change ( i.e. control) the Order to Test Cases in a Test Cycle

I am looking for a way to control the order of Test Cases in a Test Cycle.

I do a lot of manual Testing of enterprise end to end Test Scenarios.  I am migrating from a HP ALM test environment, and was able to easily do this via a Test Order custom field, that was sortable. 

I have had a Test Order custom field created in the Execution section of a Test Case  associated to a Test Cycle, but there seems to be no way to sort on it.  The Test Sets in HP ALM would have > 100 Test Cases, that I would increment by 10s, so if I needed to insert a Test Case into a Test Set, I could do so and then resort on Test Order to get the new test cases exactly where it needed to be in the End to End Scenarios.  I am looking for the ability to something similar in Zephhyr Scale.  Suggestions on how to configure Zephyr Scale to do so will be appreciated.

3 Replies

felipe-munhoz
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hey brisingr you should be able to reorder the Test Cases in a Test Cycle using the browser drag and drop feature in the Test Cases tab of the Test Cycle.

Each item in the list can be moved up and down the list. Does that help in your case?

Take a look at the screenshot below:

Happy testing!

brisingr
      New Contributor

Felipe,

Thank you for your response...  Your suggestion would technically resolve my issue, but practically, it doesn't provide a solution that works for me...   For Test Cycles that have > 100 Test Cases.  having to drag & drop test cases to reorder, or to handle inserting a new Test Cases somewhere in the middle  is a poor UX in my estimation.

ideally, I want to control the order of Test Cases associated to a Test Cycle via a number in a field.  Clearly, there is an existing field that controls this.   Is it possible to expose that filed.  If so, could it be used to sort Test Cases?

Is my observation correct, that Zephyr Scale doesn't provide a sorting capability?  It seems to have good filtering capabilities.

Regards,

Robert

felipe-munhoz
        SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi brisingr, that's a good point. Drag-and-drop works ok for a small number of test cases, but it's not optimal for lists that don't fit on the screen, requiring people to scroll.

The current sort field is not exposed to the user, I'm afraid. It might be an alternative for cases like this.

How would you feel if it was possible to sort the list also via the keyboard?

Something like this:

1. Use Tab/Shift+Tab to navigate to an item.
        2. Press Space to enter into drag mode.
        3. Use Down, Up arrow keys to select a new position.
        4. Press Space to drop the item in the new position.

Regarding sorting capabilities, the only sort feature on this screen is via drag-and-drop. On other screens, like the test case listing, it's possible to sort by specific fields.