Forum Discussion

VinnyK
Occasional Contributor
5 years ago

[TestLeft] How to interact with an object that needs scrolling to view (Desktop application)

Hi 

I m currently automating a Desktop application using C# NUnit, TestLeft, most of the objects identified are MSAAObjects.

I want to click on an object which is not visible on screen and I get the following error

SmartBear.TestLeft.TestObjects.InvocationException: 'There was an attempt to perform an action on a zero-sized window.

The window size is (0, 0); the screen rectangle: the left top corner is (0, 0), the right bottom corner is (0, 0)

There is a bit of scrolling involved to get the object visible on screen, so I tried

//obj is of type IMSAAObject

while (!obj.VisibleOnScreen)

{

driver.Desktop.Keys("[Down]");

} 

But this takes ages to get to that object.

Is there a proper way to scroll to view the object? This is a MSAAObject, so there is no Focus() or ClickItem() options

Any sort of help is appreciated

Thanks in advance

3 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

As a quick idea and assuming that the problematic control resides on some form with scrollbar:

Try to send .Keys("[PgDown]") not to the desktop, but to the proper scrollbar of the form.

VinnyK
      Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response,

I did use the .Keys("[PageDown]") on the scrollbar, it does scroll to display next set of objects. However I was hoping to find a better way to bring the intended object to display by using that object iteslf.

At any given scrolled position I should be able to find that object(that object can be at the top(Up) or bottom(Down) of the form irrespective of the current scrolled position).

For now I am using 

//1019 is the ScreenTop value(position of the indicator) of the scroll indicator when it is scrolled down to maximum

var downMax = false;

while (!object.VisibleOnScreen)

{

if (scrollBarIndicator.ScreenTop < 1019 && !downMax) 

{

scrollBar.Keys("[PageDown]");

}

else

{

down = true;

scrollBar.Keys("[PageUp]");

}

}

This works, but, is there a nicer way to get to the object which is not visible on screen?

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi,

is there a nicer way to get to the object which is not visible on screen?

I'm afraid that there is not...

TestComplete (and TestLeft) can automatically put into view quite a few controls, but not MSAA ones, according to my knowledge.

For official reply you may ask Support directly via the https://support.smartbear.com/message/?prod=TestLeft form and I will appreciate it if you update this thread in case they provide better solution.