Forum Discussion

mcmprashanth
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

object spy window not showing up on screen

Hi 

Has anyone had this experience before that object spy window doesn't open upon clicking the Object spy button on toolbar?

I have updated to version 12.20 this morning and not sure when it stopped opening object spy window, If I click on the object spy window, the test complete minimizes and nothing happens. Also, if I click 'Highlight on screen' menu item from Object Browser panel, the related object is highlighted but it doesn't take me back to Object browser panel as it used to before.

I am kind of stuck at the moment with object spy issue. Is there any other way out if there is no quick fix for this so I can carry on my work?

Thank you

tristaanogre
    8 years ago

I'm not finding an easy way to restore that window for you.  Again, it MIGHT still be displayed, but just not on screen (dragged off screen some how... or if you had been working with multiple monitors perhaps off screen on that monitor but with the monitor disconnected or something... any number of "strange" scenarios). I can't find an easy way to bring it back to your main screen.  You MIGHT want to try a Repair using the TestComplete installer... but perhaps someone else might know of a way to fix this.

mcmprashanth
    8 years ago

Good news Robert. Managed to get it back after your tip. Yes it was hiding off the screen. I could not see even the bit of it on screen. Just hovered the mouse off screen through all the borders while attempting to drag... just few blind actions and then came the window from one of the corner. :manhappy: Silly issue it was. 

Thanks a lot for your help.

4 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

I can't say that I've had that problem before.  One thing I know is that the object spy window "remembers" it's last placement.  So, if at anytime in the past it was dragged off screen in order to have access to a component, it's possible that it might still be off screen.  I don't know if this will work but if you go Tools -> Options -> Panels -> Object Browser try turning off the option to minimize TestComplete and see if the object spy window comes up.  

As for the browser not coming back after doing the highlight, not sure about that one.  There's no particularly exposed settings to control that behavior.  Try doing a View -> Desktop -> Restore Default Docking and see if that corrects things.

mcmprashanth
      Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert

Thanks a lot for quick reply. Unfortunately that did not work. I am not bothered with the second issue but thought it is worth mentioning here so it might help figuring down the issue by experts.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

I'm not finding an easy way to restore that window for you.  Again, it MIGHT still be displayed, but just not on screen (dragged off screen some how... or if you had been working with multiple monitors perhaps off screen on that monitor but with the monitor disconnected or something... any number of "strange" scenarios). I can't find an easy way to bring it back to your main screen.  You MIGHT want to try a Repair using the TestComplete installer... but perhaps someone else might know of a way to fix this.