Forum Discussion

Laxmi_1
Occasional Contributor
15 years ago

cant find the item in Object Browser

Hi,

Request 1:

I am using the trial version of 7.50 to see if it suits our application.

I have been facing a problem with some controls I have tested so far.

Dropdowns:

I have recorded some actions over few dropdowns and noticed that I can find the dropdown in object tree (in Object Browser)..

But I am not able to trace out where I can find the item I chose in the dropdown in the object tree.

Eg: Dropdown ‘Languages’ has options ‘VB Script’, ‘C++’ and ‘C#’

When I record choosing of VB Script in application and go to object tree I can find the object Dropdown ‘Languages’, but don’t find these 3 items anywhere in the tree

I even tried ‘Object Properties window’.

Using this, I tried viewing the properties of item in dropdown , ‘VB Script’.

And then tried to click on ‘Highlight Object in Object Tree’, but it’s not able to highlight anything in Object Tree.

Same is the case with context menu items and few other controls.

I am not able to find them in object tree.

If I can’t see them in object tree, how can I handle when there are changes in UI and if I have to remap the objects.

These both are getting recorded something like this :

Set nonLogicalAdornerDecorator = telerik_Windows_Examples.HwndSource_PopupRoot.PopupRoot.Decorator.NonLogicalAdornerDecorator

Set radComboBoxItem = nonLogicalAdornerDecorator.RadComboBoxItem1

Call radComboBoxItem.Click(170, 18)

Call stackPanel.RadComboBox2.Click(332, 13)

Call radComboBoxItem.Click(152, 12)

Call stackPanel.RadComboBox3.Click(271, 12)

Call nonLogicalAdornerDecorator.RadComboBoxItem2.Click(139, 10)

Call stackPanel.RadComboBox4.Click(334, 2)

Call nonLogicalAdornerDecorator.RadComboBoxItem.Click(155, 28)

Request 2:

Please let me know the procedure to do remapping of objects in case of UI changes.

Please reply me ASAP.

Thanks & Regards,

Laxmi.

6 Replies

• Laxmi,

From your recorded code I can make out that you are most probably working with a page rendered with Teleric Controls. I suggest you to go through the help topic "Working With Telerik Controls". 

Teleric controls are render each control with a collection of objects.

• Hi Laxmi,

There is no special support for this control. The topic Ahmed mentioned is about ASP controls, not WPF.

>>1

As far as I understand, you have no problems when playing back the test, and you are just confused by the fact that you cannot find the controls in the Object Browser. Actually, the behavior you observe is normal. For WPF controls, combo box items are recognized as individual objects. Plus, you can locate the combo box items in the OB only if the combo box is expanded. 

>>2

If changes in your application are associated with changes of objects' names, you can use the Name Mapping feature to give special mapped names to objects. However, when Name Mapping is used, you need to map not only the needed object, but all of its parent objects as well. So, if there are some changes in the object hierarchy, Name Mapping cannot avoid the objects availability problem. In this case, you can use another feature - Aliases. Objects mapped with the Aliases feature are available by their independent mapped names. Please see the 'Name Mapping' and 'Name Mapping Aliases' help topics for more information.

However, if the tested application's behavior changes, you will have to rewrite your test scripts.

Laxmi_1
    Occasional Contributor
    Regarding Query 1,

This problem is found with Combo Boxes, Menus and Context Menus.

My concern is that:

Many times in our application, the contents of the Combo Boxes keep changing depending on other settings.

Say initially Combo box A has items one, two, three, four and in same order. And say i have recorded this combo box and chose item 'two'.

Next time because of some settings, the items can be one, three, two,five, six, four and in same order in Combo Box A.

Now will the replay be a success by chosing the item 'two' again?

Please clear me on this.

Thanks,

Laxmi

Laxmi_1
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi David,

What does it mean by mapped? Is it Object Mapping?

By clicking on Edit--> Properties, i found Object mapping Option.

How can i use this option to enable successful replay in my scenario.

Please reply.

Thanks,

Laxmi

• Hi Laxmi,

Actually, I meant Name Mapping. I already mentioned benefits of Name Mapping and Aliases in one of my previous posts (see the 'Name Mapping' and 'Name Mapping Aliases' help topics). 

Do you still have any issues? If yes, please zip the entire project suite folder and send us the archive via the Contact Support web form (http://www.automatedqa.com/support/message/).