Forum Discussion

Jim_Taylor_3rd
Occasional Contributor
13 years ago

Writing Perfmon Counters to a csv file

I am currently writing the time and memory usage to a csv file using aqfile and the following code statement:

aqDateTime.Time() & "," & Sys.Process("MfgSys").MemUsage & vbCrLf

As I am monitoring for memory issues caused by improper garbage collection, I would also like to display the .Net CLR memory counters that are available in Perfmon.  In particulary, the size of the Gen 2 heap would be most useful -

\.net CLR Memory (_Global_)\Gen 2 heap size

I have not been able to find a way to access this counter so that I can write it to the same csv file.  I have tried running as administrator and still am not able to find a way to get at this counter. 

Any suggestions?

2 Replies

AlexeyK
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Jim,

The counter you are looking for is available via WMI. Use the Win32_PerfFormattedData_NETFramework_NETCLRMemory class. Here is sample code:

Sub Get_NETCLRMemory_Counter

' My process name

myProcess = "_Global_" ' You can specify your executable's name here, e.g. Orders

computerName = "."

' Connect to WMI via COM

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & computerName & "\root\cimv2")

Set PerfProcess = objWMIService.Get( _

"Win32_PerfFormattedData_NETFramework_NETCLRMemory.Name='" & myProcess & "'")

' Get the Get 2 heap size value

Log.Message "Gen 2 heap size: " & aqConvert.VarToStr(PerfProcess.Gen2heapsize)

' Output all the properties of the NETCLRMemory class

' Can be useful in the future ;-)

s = ""

For Each prop In PerfProcess.Properties_

s = s & prop.Name & ": " & aqConvert.VarToStr(prop.Value) & vbNewLine

Next

Log.Message "Properties", s ' Post to the Additional Information panel of the log

End Sub

Jim_Taylor_3rd
    Occasional Contributor

Fantastic - Thanks!

I got this working this morning.  One key for anyone else who wants to use this: I had to run it signed in as Administrator rather than my normal ID with Admin rights.  The script ran, but I got all zeros for values when I was not running as administrator.

Also, I used your script to create two more so that I could write these out to a csv file for graphing and analysis.  It was a very simple matter, but I'm sharing them to save someone time if they are new to this or haven't scripted in a while, as I haven't. 

One script writes the Counter Names (prop.Name) to the header row of a .csv file.  I execute it before entering my Data-Driven or For Loop.  The other one writes out the Counter Values (prop.Value) to the .csv file within  the loop.

First

Create csv File and Headers:

Sub Write_CLRCountersToHeader

' My process name

myProcess = "_Global_" ' You can specify your executable's name here, e.g. Orders

computerName = ".' You can specify your computer name here

' Connect to WMI via COM

'Creates a new file. 

Call aqfile.Create("FilePath\CLRCounters.csv")  'Change FilePath to the path to the directory where you want to put the file'

' Writes each property name to the CSV Header Line  . 

s = ""

s = s & prop.Name & ","

Next

Call aqFile.WriteToTextFile("FilePath\CLRCounters.csv", s & vbCrLf, 20)   'Must be same path and filename as above

End Sub

Second Script

Write CLR Counter Values to csv Within a Loop:

Sub Write_CLRCounterValuesToCSV

' My process name

myProcess = "_Global_ " ' You can specify your executable's name here, e.g. Orders

computerName = "." ' You can specify your computer name here

' Connect to WMI via COM

' Writes each property to the CSV Header Line  .

s = ""

s = s & aqConvert.VarToStr(prop.Value) & ","

Next

Call aqFile.WriteToTextFile("FilePath\CLRCounters.csv",s & vbCrLf, 20)

End Sub