Forum Discussion

clay
Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

Windows 10 runs very slowly

I am running TestComplete on two Windows operating systems - Windows 10 and Windows 2012.  I am running the same scripts on both platforms.  Windows 2012 runs quite well - no performance issues there.  However, the same scripts are very slow on Windows 10.  There are times when I cannot get TestComplete to respond to anything for several minutes (10-15).  Nothing else on the Windows 10 system runs slowly.  The hardware for these two systems is identical.  Any ideas on what I can do to trouble shoot this problem?

• Go to File -> Install Extensions -> Desktop and expand that.  Scroll down and make sure that the JavaFX application support and control support are both checked.  They SHOULD be, but they could be turned off for some reason.  I'm running a Windows 10 installation myself (not the Creator update but that shouldn't make a difference) and I'm seeing all 15.

7 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Try running TestCOmplete on your Windows 10 box "As Administrator".  Windows 10 is... funkier... when it comes to UAC and TC does a lot of low-level stuff that Windows 10 may be complaining about.

Something else to try.  There is an option under Tools -> Options -> General about Windows Store applications.  If that's checked, uncheck it.  This might help speed some stuff up, too.

clay
      Contributor

Robert,

Thank you.  Running TestComplete as an administrator is (surprise) not an option.  However, I was able to change the setting you suggested.  Unfortunately, it required and administrative account to do so.  The error was something along the lines of: "Your system administrator has blocked this program...".  The message was in reference to the tcManifestUpdate.exe program in the TestComplete bin directory.

I haven't done lot of testing this out, but the hanging problem seems to have gone away with the setting change.

Can I talk you in to sending me an email telling me exactly what registry settings is/are changed by disabling the "Windows Store Application" option?  I will need to write a justification for changing that setting on a long term basis for my testing team in order to gain approval from our system security organization.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

I personally don't know what the registry settings are that need to be updated.  If nothing else, this is something, I believe, that you can have a local admin come to your machine, log in, make the change, etc.  They don't necessarily need to grant you access for EVERYTHING, just for the one task.  Basically, there is a Manifest file in the bin folder where the TestComplete executable lives that needs to be altered when that setting is changed.  You need to have access to that folder to make those changes.

clay
    Contributor

One further piece of info that may be important ....

The problem seems to occur at the very end of a script or when I set a break point.  TestComplete seems to "hang" for quite some time.  Thereafter, the performance gets worse and worse.