Forum Discussion

ShlomiB
New Contributor
8 years ago

What is the Recommended upgrade procedure for Node-Locked license (from V 11 to V 12)?

In our company SmartBear account, a new license appears

I am the QA Manager who uses the Node-Locked license (currently using Version 11.31.2420.7) but as written it is a PC-bound license for running one product instance at a time on that PC only.

I already read the What's New in TestComplete 12.0

About TestComplete v.12 license as appear in our my smartbear account: TestComplete v.12 License

Version details

This Version 12.0.122

Release date: 07/28/2016

1. What is the Recommended upgrade procedure for Node-Locked license (from V11 to V12)?
  2. Should I uninstall testComplete11 first?
  3. What is the Recommended activation procedure for Node-Locked license?
  4. Is the activation key is the number displayed at column ‘License Key’ at the bottom table: TestComplete v.12, Node-Locked License?

1 Reply

• 1) TestComplete 11 and TestComplete 12 are independent.  You can install both on the same machine.  You can activate licenses for both on the same machine.

2) Not necessary to uninstall TestComplete 11 first.

3) Activate your new license using the License Activation Wizard that comes up when TestComplete 12 can't find it's license.

4) Yes, the license key is the long number in that table.

It is expected that you will want to evaluate TestComplete 12 for a while before committing to it.  To do so, you can install and run both versions on the same machine.  Similarly you can activate licenses for both versions on the same machine at the same time.  The mechanism for license activation is the same:  The License Activation Wizard can activate licenses for TestComplete and TestExecute (and some other products).  The License Activation Wizard can be selected when TestComplete complains about not being able to find a license.  It can also be invoked directly from a running TestComplete (Help | Activate or deactivate license), or from the SmartBear License Manager (if you happen to have that installed).

After evaluating TestComplete 12 and committing to it, it is expected that you will deactivate your TestComplete 11 license (and uninstall TestComplete 11 if you want).  License deactivation can be performed from a running TestComplete ((Help | Activate or deactivate license), from the SmartBear License Manager, or as an option when uninstalling TestComplete (and only a node-locked license is present on the machine).