Forum Discussion

mugheessiddiqui
Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

VSTS timeout error "Test test_name exceeded execution timeout period."

Running scripts from VSTS when execution exceeds 30 minutes duration, VSTS logs error message Test test_name exceeded execution timeout period.

Can anyone help me to fixed this issue in VSTS.

• My problem has been solved.

I have to defined testsetting file in TestComplete test project of Visual Studio. my test complete project name is TCRunner

I have just defined the Test Timeouts settings and saved the file parallel to the .tc12Test Files. e.g TestSettings1.testsettings.
    I have to modify Run Functional Tests step of Agent phase in VSTS and define the Run Setting file e.g "$(System.DefaultWorkingDirectory)\tc\TCRunner\TestSettings1.testsettings"

Just save the release definition and deploy the build. Test run has bypass the default 30 minutes timeout settings and Log.mht files uploaded successfully without facing error message Test 'test_name' exceeded execution timeout period.

7 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

The execution timeout is telling you that nothing has been happening for so long that it exceeded the timeout limit.  Are you sure the test is still running at this point?   What happens if you run this test from TestComplete and not in VSTS?  Will it complete properly?

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

Something else to check.

In your project in TestComplete, your project items have this column for "Timeout" (see screenshot)

If that value is set to anything but 0, it will fire the OnTimeout event handler when it hits that timeout and the message will be exactly as you specified, that the Test exceeded execution time out.

so... my guess is that you have those test items set up in your TestComplete project where they have a 30 minute time out set.  Change that from 30 minutes to 0 and you should be good to go.

mugheessiddiqui
      Contributor

Yes my scripts completes successful execution on test machine but due to the error VSTS does not upload the Log.mht in Attachments Section. I have configured email routine to post test results on OnStopTest Event and I'm getting those. I'm facing issue with VSTS if execution ends with in 30 minutes, I get the results else it reports error message that Test 'testname' exceeded execution timeout period and I don't get uploaded log files.

I have set 0 in Time out column for each test item on Project level.

Further I'm using *.tc12Test files for test item configuration.

• My problem has been solved.

I have to defined testsetting file in TestComplete test project of Visual Studio. my test complete project name is TCRunner

I have just defined the Test Timeouts settings and saved the file parallel to the .tc12Test Files. e.g TestSettings1.testsettings.
    I have to modify Run Functional Tests step of Agent phase in VSTS and define the Run Setting file e.g "$(System.DefaultWorkingDirectory)\tc\TCRunner\TestSettings1.testsettings"

Just save the release definition and deploy the build. Test run has bypass the default 30 minutes timeout settings and Log.mht files uploaded successfully without facing error message Test 'test_name' exceeded execution timeout period.

EStegeman
      New Contributor

Do you have an example of the testsetting file? It seems i'm facing the same problem and tried the same solution but it doesn't work for me yet.

mugheessiddiqui
        Contributor

Hey Brother

Step 1: I have added testsettings1.testsettings file in Visual Studio Test Project and just define the total execution time and individual test execution time. see image01 and image02.

Step 2: Configure testsettings1.testsettings file in VSTS Build definition in Run Functional Test task. I used the variable $(System.DefaultWorkingDirectory) and its worked for me, If you define the wrong directory Run Tests step will through exception.

Let me know if you still facing the issue.