Forum Discussion

lhuang5
Occasional Contributor
11 years ago
Solved

Use object or UI control to test WPF UI?

Hi, 

We are planningt o update GUI to WPF step by step in our desktop software. Now I am working on writing scripts for WPF controls in our new WPF UI. But I am a little confused about what is the right way to test WPF controls.This application is closed for me and I have  no idea about its source code.

For example, we can spy one WPF object "TreeView" treeViewObj. We can access to each tree node by  treeNode = treeViewObj.Items.Item(index). 

WIth this, we can check treeNode.DisplayName. Actually this DisplayName is in its child contol "TextBlock". If I need to know this name in UI, should I find THAT "TextBlock" UI control or just use DisplayName from found "TreeView" object?

Are they the same or different?

Thanks

Best regards,

Liping
  • If the app is "closed to you" it may be a problem as the app should be built in Debug mode so TC can have access to all the names etc.

2 Replies

• +1 for this post.
    Any inputs here would be really appreciated.

We too test windows desktop applications built using wpf objects and are a little confused about which approach to choose.

• If the app is "closed to you" it may be a problem as the app should be built in Debug mode so TC can have access to all the names etc.