Forum Discussion

prakash_vasudev
Contributor
13 years ago

Unsupported Object ThunderRT6MDIForm toolbar

Test complete is not able identify(spy) toolbar which is under window of type ThunderRT6MDIForm. I tried after enabling 'MSAA' and 'UI Automation" options, still object is not identified. I am using latest release of Test Complete (8.7).

5 Replies

HKosova
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Prakash,

Do I understand it right that your application under test is a Visual Basic 6 application? If so, please make sure that the Visual Basic Open Applications plug-in is checked in File > Install Extensions.

Could you please also explain what you mean by "Test complete is not able identify(spy) toolbar" (maybe with screenshots or a video)? Does TestComplete not draw the red selection rectangle around the toolbar when you point at it? Does an error occur when you try to capture the toolbar using the Object Spy? Does TestComplete record toolbar button clicks as coordinate clicks instead of the special ClickItem operation? Or is it something else?
  • The toolbar is built using 3rd party ActiveX control "ActiveBarLibraryCtl.Tool", i.e., ActiveBar Band

Application under test is: VB6

Tried spying object with VB extension ON and OFF, but no success.

TestComplete records toolbar button clicks as coordinate clicks instead of ClickItem operations.

TestComplete does not draw the red selection rectangle around the toolbar when we point at it.

Screen shot attached.
    HKosova
    Hi Prakash,

Thanks for the details and for the screenshot. Now, I see what you meant in your original question.

TestComplete being unable to spy into your application at all is definitely an issue. However, I see from your screenshot that you are using TestComplete 7 or an earlier version. Could you please try the latest version of TestComplete - 8.70 - and see how it works with your app? You can download a free trial of TestComplete 8.70 from here.

I've also tried TestComplete 8.70 with the WordPad sample application that is included in the ActiveBar 3 installation (<Data Dynamics>\ActiveBar 3.0\Samples\VB6\bin\Rtf Editor.exe). This application includes a ThunderRT6MDIForm and some ActiveBar toolbars, like your app. I was able to get TestComplete to identify individual toolbar buttons after enabling MSAA support for these classes (that is, after adding these classes to project properties > Open Applications > MSAA):

ABSActiveBar*

ABSDynaBarCls

See the attached screenshot - ActiveBar_MSAA.png.

Try the same and let me know how it works for you as well.

By the way, you can vote for adding extended support for ActiveBar controls in the following survey on our web site:

http://smartbear.com/products/qa-tools/automated-testing/survey/

ActiveBar controls are in the ActiveX > Data Dynamics, Ltd. category.
  • I tried your suggestion with TestComplete latest version 8.7 (after adding ABSActiveBar*,ABSDynaBarCls to MSAA), but no luck :( .

Please do let me know if can try anything else.
    HKosova
    Hi Prakash,

It is possible that the toolbar in your application under test has a different class name than in the ActiveBar sample that I tried. Please find the toolbar object in TestComplete's Object Browser and examine its WndClass property. If its value is neither ABSDynaBarCls nor begins with ABSActiveBar, add this value to Tools > Current Project Properties > Open Applications > MSAA (make sure you tick the check box next to the class name). Then open the Object Browser once again and see if there are any new objects corresponding to the toolbar buttons.

If that didn't work, would it be possible for you to send the tested application (under NDA if required) to our Support Team for investigation? It would really help us to look into the issue.