Forum Discussion

RichBopp
Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

The .PJS file for my Suite has disappeared. Is there a way to restore/create another?

Not sure how, but the .PJS file for my largest suite is now missing.  No others are.

And it appears that all other files for this suite are still present.  How does one restore or create a new .PJS?

• Doing a "Save As" of the PJS file will simply move JUST the PJS file to a different folder.  The rest of the associated files will stay where they are, as far as I know.

Best practice for retaining automation projects is to implement a source control tool of some sort (GIT, Mercurial, TFS, etc).  That way, if you want to move a project to a different folder, you simply do a "get" of the project in the new folder (or clone the respository, etc).  This also has the bonus of keeping a backup of all your files right at your fingertips.  Test Automation IS code, it is software development (of a sort) so any best practices that are followed in an application development environment should be followed for test automation development.

If you don't want to do that, then the best way of moving an entire suite is to do a full copy of files, folders, and subfolders to a new location.  This still runs the risk of there being some associated files that may not be in the direct path of the suite so you'll need to be aware of that.

8 Replies

Bobik
    Frequent Contributor

Try open .mds file and then save. It will create new .pjs file.

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

You can always create a new project suite.  File -> New -> Project suite allows you to create just the PJS file with whatever name you want in whatever directory you want.  You can then add your MDS project files to that suite by right clicking on the suite and selecting Add -> Existing Item.

RichBopp
        Contributor

Martin,

We were able to use our nightly back up from Monday to restore the missing .PJS, and it appears some other missing files.

However, I will keep your solution in my notes should we see the issue again.

Question - The original issue occurred when the Suite was moved to a new file folder.   Have you encountered this before?  Is there a recommended best practice for moving Suites if one needs to do some house cleaning?  SaveAs, maybe?

Rich

RichBopp
      Contributor

Bobik,

We were able to use our nightly back up from Monday to restore the missing .PJS, and it appears some other missing files.

However, I will keep your solution in my notes should we see the issue again.

Question - The original issue occurred when the Suite was moved to a new file folder.   Have you encountered this before?  Is there a recommended best practice for moving Suites if one needs to do some house cleaning?  SaveAs, maybe?

Rich