Forum Discussion

abinash11
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago

TestExecute unable to detect / run selected tests

I have a TestComplete project where some test items are selected by default.

When I try to open this project using TestExecute and run the tests, I get the message that there are no enabled Test items that can be run. But they are enabled when I see from TestComplete. What is going wrong ? Please refer the screenshot attached.

Also, why doesn't TestExecute provide any UI to change the selected tests ? I am planning to setup multiple test PCs and run different tests on each one of them. But this lack of UI means I need to edit them for each PC which is against one of the uses of TestExecute as a standalone tool. Is it not ?

5 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

I see that those tests are enabled in TestComplete, but does the project actually run from TestComplete successfully?  Maybe there's a corrupt file that we can't see.

abinash11
      Occasional Contributor

Yes, they run from TestComplete without any issues. I'm not sure what else could be the problem.

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Are TestComplete and TestExecute on the same machine?

Are you using the commandline to execute the test in TestExecute or are you opening it from the SysTray and running from there?

TestExecute as a standalone tool is what TestExecute says... it executes the tests that have been developed and modified in TestComplete.  This is why there is no UI.  

As for running from each PC... what you can do is build TestItem trees per PC and then, using the commandline of TestExecute, have it set up to run a different tree of test items on each PC.

abinash11
      Occasional Contributor

TestComplete and TestExecute are on different PCs. I'm using the system tray to run so far.

I will try the command prompt option. But any other indicators on the issue will be helpful.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

how are you copying the project files from one machine to another?  Is it possible that the MDS file on your TestExecute machine is different than the file on your TestComplete machine?  I'd recopy the files and make sure.