Forum Discussion

jeeejay
Contributor
13 years ago

TestComplete has encountered a problem in module kernel32.dll

Hello Support Team,

We have been using TC 6.53 for a long time without any issues and are currently migrating to 8.65.

We have a set of tests in 6.53 that we do not wish to migrate as the application under test is phasing out.

Last week, I noticed an error dialog (please see attached picture) saying 'An error occurred when generating the type library: Access vialotion ... in module jscript.dll' and TestComplete crashed soon after dismissing this dialog (crash dump attached).

I assumed this to be some kind of a memory issue, so I rebooted the machine but got the same result. I re-installed TestComplete but it still crashes - even TestExecute crashes. I tried it on 3 different machines but it still crashes. It would be really nice if you could analyze the crash dump and provide some solution.

I understand that 6.53 is an old version and the current version is 8.6 (we have it and we are using it too) but for us it will really take a lot of effort to deploy the new version and migrate our scripts so we would like to stick to the earlier version.

- GJ 

2 Replies

AlexeyK
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

G J,

It is better to send technical questions like this to the Support Team directly.

Please open a support case, describe the problem and attach an image and dump files. The support guys will be able to escalate the issue to developers for investigation.

• Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply.

I started a post here as we were using TC successfully and suddenly one day it started to crash. I thought if anyone else in the user base might have experienced this then they will have a quick response.

Anyways, I found that our IT Department has deployed a patch on all our computers and it included IE 8. When I was searching about the error message in general, I came across a forum where people were discussing about kernel32.dll related issues with IE 8 so I thought of removing it.

I uninstalled it (so the machine now has IE 7) and now TC runs just as it used to - no issues at all.

- GJ