Forum Discussion

pyatakov
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago

TC 12.30. Freeze code editor during write some string on line which number more that 20 000

Hi all!

I have some problem - when I write some code in code editor (in my module more than 30 000 lines) on line with number 25000 or 26000, i saw some monster freeze of tc during 2 or 3 second and tc eat 100% proccess time.

what i must do that solve this problem?

6 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

There are other posts up here that mention that performance problem.  It probably has to do with syntax highlighting, outlining, auto-outlining, etc., combined with your actual machine hardware specs.  That's a LOT of text on screen in a single file that needs to be processed and syntax checked. You can send a report in to SmartBear customer service for them to review specifics for you.  But, as mentioned, your best short term solution is to determine how to break up that 20000+ lines into multiple code units.  I've mentioned elsewhere, even in application development, it's best to keep units of code to as concise a size as possible... the same holds true for script code.  

shankar_r
    Community Hero

I guess the monster is your 30000+ lines in a single unit. 

Is there any reason for having 30000+ lines of code in single unit. 

I personally feel, For a single unit 1500 lines is more than enough. I used to split the modules and put in different Units and group them by folders so that my code editor would be faster, more handy and understandable.

pyatakov
      Occasional Contributor

Why are 30,000 lines so scary? It's normally.

If you work with TC just for learning, may be  1500 lines  it is good for you

But steep guys write more that 1500 lines :manvery-happy:

shankar_r
        Community Hero

You can have more than 30000 lines in your project suite that is not the issue here.

The issue here is having them in a single unit is matters when you come to performance.

We do have 30000+ lines of code which are nowhere caused performence issue in Code editor.

Common standard is always to split up the modules to parts and have them integrated  by the flow. 

Simply it should not be essay it should be like synopsis.:smileyhappy: