Forum Discussion

Don
Contributor
7 years ago

Should QA Analysts Create Data for Business Analysts

Hello,

I've been a QA Person for about 8 years now and usually that includes writing my own test cases and creating my own data via excel, SQL etc.

There's this argument going around my company that were trying to get cleared up and while Office Politics takes some time to figure out I'd figure I ask a question here just to get the opinion of the community.

The issue that is going on is that Business Analyst need data on a Pre-Production Environment and has asked QA that they provide it. This data usually takes a manual QA Tester 1 week to complete depending on the size, entering 1 by 1. I am working on an automated process to make things easier but I feel that since this data will not be used by the QA team at all, We shouldn't even be working on it. 

Like I said before I know QA testers are responsible for their own test cases and data. But what if that Data is meant for someone else?

Should QA be responsible for creating this data that will not be used by anyone in QA and is for the benefit of the Business Analyst?

Any opinion would be greatly appreciate.

4 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

One question: Who said that the data you create for the BA's is only for their use?  If it's an SQL database that can be backed up or cloned or detached, what is to prevent you from saving time for yourself by using the data created for the BA's for your own use? 

It make sense, really, that if you're creating data for use in your testing that others can benefit from that data and vice-versa.  Yeah, you're different roles in your team... but you're the same team.

Don
      Contributor

This data is only for Business Analyst and not our department. It has been confirmed that this data will not benefit the QA department.

I agree that Data can be shared but if it's just being pawned off to QA I don't think that's right.

Thank you for your insight.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

That's kinda weird... data is being created for the application to be used by the business analysts.  This means, to me, that it is "realistic" data that could be used to simulate scenarios and such for test cases.  Data is data.  I find it hard to believe that ANY data created for internal use by the company has no use outside of the specific department. 

For that matter... again, don't you already create data for QA use?  If so, why not flesh it out, add the additional stuff that the BA's need.  It would benefit you by giving the QA team more "realistic" data for their testing as well as shorten the time frame for generating the data for the BA's...you already have some of the work done.  Win-win, in my opinion.