Ask a Question

Send Test Results to Azure DevOps W/O pipeline setup?

SOLVED
scot1967
Frequent Contributor

Send Test Results to Azure DevOps W/O pipeline setup?

Hello all,

Is it possible to link TestComplete Test Cases to Azure DevOps without the Test Adapter and pipeline integration?  In other words, I want to run the tests from TestComplete or TestExecute with the Execution Plan instead of running them as part of the build pipeline and link the test results to Azure DevOps for review by others?  If I try to link a test case via the Execution Plan I am unable to log into my DevOps repository,  This could be the only issue I need to resolve.   If the Test Adapter is required and this can only be done via an Azure DevOps pipeline build process I will need to wait until we have other items worked out and in placed.

Thanks everyone,

Scott H.

24 REPLIES 24
ebarbera
Staff

Hello @scot1967 - 

Looking to make sure I am understanding your need correctly - you would like to run the tests from TestComplete or TestExecute but still have the results post to Azure Test Plans?

If that is correct this is possible - the test links do not mean that the tests have to be executed from Azure Pipeline. 

What is the error you are getting when trying to log in?

Thanks, 

Emma

scot1967
Frequent Contributor

The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.

If it is possible to send my test results to my Azure/DevOps server without the Test Adapter then I must have a setting wrong or insufficient privileges to log on to the server. 

P.S.  TF31002: Unable to connect to this Azure DevOps Server:

scot1967
Frequent Contributor

Error links makes me think there is a login issue.  I have contacted an admin.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/organizations/projects/tf31002-unable-connect-tfs?view...

scot1967
Frequent Contributor

I was able to log into the Azure/DevOps server finally.  It seems the URL I used needed a trailing / .  Now I can see my collection and my projects but I can't open the projects to get at the sub items that contain the test cases.  

scot1967
Frequent Contributor

Ignore my last comment.  I am not sure what is going on but it seems to be related to  how I am accessing the server.  I am not sure about the trailing / .  It seems to work once, I remove it and try again and it doesn't.  Not sure about troubleshooting the Project access issue.  I need to figure out what i am doing wrong setting up access to the server first.  

Hi @scot1967 -

Have you tried opening a ticket with our Support team? It cant hurt to have them take a look as well - especially in the case where you are experiencing an error like this. 

The link to open a ticket can be found here: https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/message/

Let me know if theres anything else i can do to help. 

Emma

scot1967
Frequent Contributor

My goodness!  I think I figured it out!   The answer was here all the time...  https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/working-with/integration/azure/test-adapter/link-to-...  I was trying to click the elipsis in the 'Link to external test case' column of the Execution Plan and setup the connection from there.  It works MUCH better if you go to Tools, Current Project Properties, Azure DevOps and setup the connection from there.   

I have not yet figured out how to run a test case from TestComplete and see the results in  AzureDevops with out using the Test Plan in Azure with the Test Adapter.  Is this the only way? 

Hi @scot1967 - 

Glad it was easier from there - the way to see the results in Azure would be to set up the links in the execution plan once you have established the working connection to Azure. Then you will have to execute from the execution plan to see the results attached to the test cases in Azure. 

Its also possible to see a summary file when running from Azure pipelines but this is not tied to specific test cases in Azure.

Hope this helps - let me know if you still have questions. 

Emma

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: