Forum Discussion

xtian79
New Contributor
8 years ago

Run testcomplete from Release Management Deployment Agent

We are developing a series of smoke test with TestComplete, we want to automate the execution of these test with each deploy generated with our Nigthly Build (NB).

So far we are using TFS and MSBuild to generate the NB, in order to deploy the artifacts we use Release Management (RM), with this implementation we deploy to several virtual machines.

Rigth now, RM is deploying our application to the vm as well as the test developed. In one of the vm we had installed the TestComplete, and we try to make that RM runs the smoke test using the console command. We prepared a small script that will be called by the RM Deployment Agent (Agent is a Windows service that runs a NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM). So far the script is called by the agent, but TestComplete runs for a few seconds and crash. If I run the script from my interactive session it runs as expected.

Any Idea???

8 Replies

• Might want to verify through a support ticket, but I'm fairly certain you have to have an actual user session for TestComplete to work, otherwise there isn't any GUI for it to interact with. I haven't had to try running scripts through RM software, but I know to launch scripts from QAComplete I have to provide credentials for a user account that it can open a session with and then use for running the test.

xtian79
      New Contributor

Thanks for your answer.

Use TestExecute is not an option due we do not have budget to purchase more licenses

ghuff2
        Contributor

I don't think using TestExecute would change anything. If you don't have a user session open then you won't have a Windows desktop or UI to execute your tests on.