Forum Discussion

Andrew_Robinson
Occasional Contributor
10 years ago
Solved

Retrieving data from Excel table column and inputting into form.

Okay, so I can get Excel data easily input into a form(textbox) if the column isnt missing any data .  My column is a middle name column and some people dont have middle names so that space is left blank. 

I am having trouble getting Test complete to pass over the textbox and continue looping if there is no data in the excel table for that specific middle name cell. I have tried making "If....Then" statements but I cant seem to get them to work in this situation properly. I can make them work but only for one middle name at a time, for example: 

If middle name : "timothy" is in Excel table column "Middle Name" use that, 

else: go on to next text box

I could technically make like 50 if statements for all people but I know there has to be another way.

Again, I want to pass over the middle name text box if there is no data in Excel for that particulare person. Otherwise TestComplete stops looping and just sits there with the cursor on the middle name box. 

I am doing this with a keyword test, and have been using the software for 6 days so any detailed instructions on how to accomplish this would be very GREATLY appreciated. 

Thanks! 
  • Hi as a workaround u can add (Single quote ' ) for excel empty fields such as middle name to avoid exception