Forum Discussion

grainwave
Occasional Contributor
14 years ago

Remote Hosts filesystem mapping to local

I have a VM running vista, somehow what TestComplete thinks is the filesystem of the VM is actually the Local machine.

The problem seems to be intermittent. Restarting the machine does not help. Restarting the VM does not help.

Windows maps the files correctly. E.g if I go to \\winvista32sp102 (the vm name) in explorer, it maps to the vm as it should.

As a result the test fails to verify, cannot find the project file.

Screenshot 1 - shows TestComplete displaying incorrect mapping

Screenshot 2 - The Hosts configuration

Screenshot 3 - Absolutely no changes made, just time, shows test complete mapping to the correct path.

cheers

4 Replies

• Hi Kyle,

Probably, the problem is caused by the fact that the virtual machine and the "Local" machine have the same IP address. I recommend that you contact your system administrator to clarify whether this is the case.
    grainwave
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi David

This is not correct. The IP addresses of both machines are different. I can ping each machine from the other and the IP address is resolving correctly as it should.

Accessing each machines file shares using the hostname or ip behaves as expected which indicates to me that it is something more specific to the way testcomplete comunicates with tcrea to access the filesystem of the specified host.

I will investigate further with Wireshark, perhaps you could give me some more info on what protocol testcomplete uses to communicate this information so I know what packets to be looking at?

Cheers

• Hi Kyle,

As a result the test fails to verify, cannot find the project file.

Could you please post a screenshot of the error? Is the error represented by a "Verification failed" message? If it is, please follow the instructions form the "Message - Verification failed." help topic. Let me know your results.

Also, could you please post an image demonstrating both the contents of the virtual machine's C: drive displayed in a file manager and the contents of the "Select remote project" dialog while the expanded C: drive is shown?
    grainwave
    Occasional Contributor
    Turns out I fixed the issue by changing the VM Network configuration from NAT to bridged.

I have a very flaky understanding of how VM's work to say the least but assumed it was a test complete issue since windows managed to map the address to the vms filesystem fine. Sorry for the noob mistake

Cheers