Forum Discussion

raymondtio
Established Member
6 years ago

Region checkpoint fails on Windows 10 because size of the image is different

I have been using TestComplete 12 on Windows 7 since day one and all images of the desktop application for region checkpoint work fine.  

Recently I bought a new PC that comes with Windows 10 and transfer all the testproject to the new PC and install the same TestComplete 12.

When the same test is run on Windows 7 and Windows 10, the test will fail on Windows 10 saying the size of the image is different. On further investigation, using Object Spy tool, the image size is 830x568  on Windows 7 but on Windows 10, the image size is 830x569.

I have tried running TestComplete and the desktop application in Compatibility mode but that doesn't help.

There is no way to downgrade Windows 10 to Windows 7. Worst case is to upgrade the Windows 7 to Windows 10 and update all regions. Before going that route, I like to find out if there is a better solution.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

2 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

a) According to my knowledge, the sizes of the images been compared in TestComplete must be the same;

b) Image comparison in TestComplete is not too intelligent and is considered to be the last resort way and I would expect comparison failures even for the images of the same size because of different color schemes used in Win7 and Win10.

Considering the above, I see no other way then to create a separate set of master Win10-based images.

P.S. Alternative approach might be to consider more intelligent visual testing engine (like Applitools Eyes) and use it from within your TestComplete code for image comparison. Technical implementation is not that difficult, but additional cost and legal/confidential restrictions might appear to be the case.

Bobik
    Frequent Contributor

This is a usual issue when picture sizes are different for different OS versions. Because window borders, toolbars or DPI could differ.

You have to create images in Stores for every OS and select needed in your test code.  Try use 'Sys.OSInfo.Name' to determine the OS version.

Making an automated test it's not just recording and playing..