Forum Discussion

wfetherolf
Occasional Contributor
13 years ago

RebootAndContinue in Project Suite

Here's the setup:

Window 7 64bit with TestComplete 8.70

We have a fairly lengthy project suite which installs our application, performs some tests, and then uninstalls the application.  After the installation and uninstallation of the product, a reboot is required.  We also have each test set up as a separate project.  What we currently do is have all the projects in the suite enabled, except for the install project.  We manually execute the install project, and have the script modify the registry to put the execution of the project suite in the RunOnce registry key so that the entire project suite will be executed once the system is rebooted. 

Is there any way that the RebootAndContinue function can continue executing the project suite when it comes back, or are we stuck with this method of executing the project suite?

8 Replies

irina_lukina
    Super Contributor

Hi Will,

Is there any way that the RebootAndContinue function can continue executing the project suite when it comes back

Now, TestComplete doesn't provide such functionality. So, you can only specify script routines as a parameter of the RebootAndContinue method.

However, we have a suggestion to implement this functionality in our DB and your request has increased its rating. Thanks for your feedback.

frauem
    Occasional Contributor
    I would love to have this functionality! It would be a boon to us!
    adam_2
    New Contributor
    From what I can tell googling the subject, this has been a request for about five years now, correct?

Is there any way that we as customers (and partners) can ensure the next minor release contains this most reasonable functionality?  Is there a specific "problem owner" we can contact?  Is there at least some process more formal than randomly posting a bunch of easily-overlooked forum messages collecting in disparate threads?

This is not a criticism where I'm asking rhetorical questions; these are literal questions, the answers to which I believe we are entitled, made in the spirit of making the product better for its customers.

I look forward to your answers, and thank you all very much for everything you do to make TestComplete better and better with each release.
    wfetherolf
    Occasional Contributor
    I've come up with a workaround for this issue. 

I created a Network Suite, and set it up so that there are two sections of the test, one section for before the reboot, and one section for afterwards.  Each section is in it's own job in the network suite, and they're executed against the same host.  The first section is set to reboot the host when it completes.  In between the two sections, I've got a function that waits for the host to come back from rebooting.  If you don't wait for the host to come back, the master project will attempt to execute the second job on the host as soon as the first job completes, but because the first job has initiated a reboot, the second job won't be able to start.  The network suite will aggregate the logs for the two sections for us, and give us an overall success or failure state for the test.  This will probably work for the rest of you until SmartBear gets the RebootAndContinue functionality updated.
    irina_lukina
    Super Contributor

Hi all,

I've consulted with our developers, and they agree that this functionality is very useful. They added the appropriate task to their task list.

However, I cannot promise that it will have been implemented by the next release of TestComplete as it's going to be released soon.

Thanks for your feedback and helping us to make our product better :)

nepol77
    New Contributor

Hi guys

i wish to run a group from workspace after rebooting. I have had a look at the forum on the website, FAQs and Google but i could not find anything that suites my requirement.

How can i run the entire 'Banks' groups after rebooting using RebootAndContinue method? (see screenshot). Is this possible? Any suggestion please will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Val