Forum Discussion

forrestaustin
Contributor
6 years ago

Project Suite vs Project

I am trying to determine how we should divide up testing for an application. Right now we only have one .NET WPF application that is going to be tested. This application as around 30 different tools within the application each with their own set of tests. I want to have one person working on one tool at a time (all within the same application). Which would be a better structrue for collaboration - each tool as its own project suite or each tool as a project within one project suite? 

My concern here is sharing between team members. I know that if each person has their own project suite that project suite folder can easily be sent to other computers. I am unsure if this could be done with project folders themselves. In the documentation I believe it said containers of things could not be shared. 

I know the one project suite per person/tool works, but it seems like a waste since there would be no need to create multiple projects within each project suite - so it would essentially be acting as project folder.

3 Replies

cunderw
    Community Hero

I would reccomend one project per tool personally, but I would also make sure you are using some kind of source control for sharing assets between team members and housing any shared utilities and scripts outside of the project folders themselves. 

A small high-level example of how I setup my projects and scripts can be found here: https://github.com/cunderw/smartbear-november

forrestaustin
      Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion. That's what I thought would be more appropriate, but I wasn't exactly sure how I could share work between people. Right now TC is inside a VMware on a computer that has only a local network to connect to. The problem is, the VM is not connected to this local network. Right now what I was planning was manually dragging files from the VM to the host computer then having some kind of git repo on that host computer. Are you able to share just project folders like this? Or would you only be able to share scripts themselves?