Forum Discussion

pgreen
New Contributor
12 years ago

Problem with testing System Tray balloons

Our application under test displays a System Tray Balloon and the actual interface doesnt get displayed until the user clicks on the balloon.

I have created a test script in TC (I have tried both a Keyword test and a VBScript test) that can successfully click on the balloon on the PC used to develop the tests (Windows XP).

When I run the tests on the target PCs (using TestExecute) it works perfectly on Windows 7 32-bit however when I run the tests on a Windows 7 64-bit PC the tests fail because it cant find the balloon in order to click on it.

I have used various spy programs to check that the class name etc is the same on the 64-bit machine and I can see no differences.

The only possible solution I can think of is to target the window handle rather than the class name but i'm not sure how to do that in TC (if its possible?).

Does anyone know if its possible to target the window handle instead of the class name or have any other solutions?

1 Reply

• Hello Paul,

The Window handle changes every time you restart your application, so using it is not a good solution.

I recommend that you download a trial version of TestComplete and install it on the problematic machine to investigate the problem: you will be able to use TestComplete's Object Spy tool to check out the window's properties.

Or, if your application is a C++ application, you can use the ControlId property to map the window, as the property can identify a control uniquely.