Forum Discussion

MikeD
New Contributor
14 years ago

Problem playing back scripts in 7.52

Hi, I am having a problem when playing back any scripts on my Windows XP machine running TestComplete 7.52.

Whenever I playback a script, the playback starts and the indicator appears saying 'Playback'.  However, this then starts flashing (along with the mouse cursor) fast and nothing else happens. TestComplete does not freeze and there are no other problems, except that the flashing happens and no more playback continues - it just stays in this state.

I've had scripts running successfully on this laptop before (only yesterday in fact) and I have tried fixing the problem by restarting AND reinstalling TestComplete and this has still not fixed it.

Because of these reasons, I believe it may be a issue with the laptop rather than TestComplete, unless it is a TestComplete setting that has been changed, but I can't think of any that can cause this.

Has anyone experienced something similar or have any ideas of what I could try to fix this??

Regards,

Steve

4 Replies

• Hi Mike,

Can you reproduce the issue with another project suite (for example, create a new project suite and make a short test with Notepad)?

MikeD
    New Contributor
    Hi Allen, I have created another projet suite and a short test and the same thing occurs. I have also noticed when I attempt the running of the tests the the tcHostingProcess.exe process does not start.

I have checked in the TestComplete bin directory and this exe is in there but I wonder if it's having some problem loading it up or something. I have even tried reinstalling TestComplete 7.51 to see if an older version might be ok, but it was the same issue so I am back to 7.52 again now.

Regards,

Mike
  • Hi Mike,

To help us investigate the problem, follow the steps below:

1. Download a free trial version of our profiling tool - AQtime 6.

2. Install the tool.

3. Start AQtime with the -NotOpenApp command line argument. For example, you can use the following command line:

"c:\Program Files\Automated QA\AQtime 6\Bin\AQtime.exe" -NotOpenApp

4. Select the 'File | New Project From Module...' main menu item.

5. In the Open File dialog, select the TestComplete.exe file and click Open.

6. Take a look at the AQtime toolbar - there is a combo box. Open it and select the "Tracing | Exception Trace Profiler" item.

7. Select the "Options | Options..." main menu command - the Options dialog will appear.

8. Set the "Profiling Time | Event View | General | Exceptions | Depth shown" setting to 100 and click OK.

9. Click the Run toolbar button (the green arrow) or press F5 to start the profiling.

10. AQtime will start TestComplete and trace all exceptions that will occur in the application until it is closed.

11. Reproduce the problem in TestComplete.

12. After the problem occurs, right-click somewhere within the Event View panel (it is opened by default at the bottom of AQtime's window) and select the 'Save All...' item.

13. Save the panel's contents to an HTML file and send me the file via our Contact Support form.