Forum Discussion

tcrory
New Contributor
8 years ago

Portable TestExecute

I was looking into the possibility of utilizing TestComplete for the purpose of automating a test process on a device for a client, and the client was wondering if it is possible to install TestExecute onto a USB in a way that it is fully portable, in order to almost entirely reduce the footprint that TestExecute has on the device.

I haven't been able to find any information on the subject up until now. Does anyone know if it is possible to fully install TestExecute to a USB flash drive such that it could be run on any Windows system that it is plugged into? Are there components within the program that require it to be installed directly onto the system?

Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated!

6 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

I know at least one use case that requires TestComplete/TestExecute to be installed into <ProgramFiles> folder: access to web pages opened in Edge is allowed only from the system trusted folder.

Another use case is that in order to control some applications a helper service must be running on behalf of the system account.

TestExecute's footprint is not that big and TestExecute can be installed unattended from the command line. Considering that TestExecute can run only on the Windows platform, any real use case that prevents its install on the system?

tcrory
      New Contributor

It's primarily an issue of the client being concerned about getting FDA approval when the device had been tested with TestExecute installed, and needing to show that the footprint is minimal enough that its presence has no effect upon FDA decisions.

I believe that the client's intent is to avoid the problem entirely with a portable installation of TestExecute running on a USB, however if that is not possible than being able to present data suggesting that the FDA doesn't care about the presence of TestExecute would likely make a nice substitute for having a USB-only install of TestExecute.

As the client had already purchased multiple licenses of TestComplete before I began working with them, I believe that they truly want to utilize the system and are just concerned that they'll end up needing to spend time later proving to the FDA that TestExecute had no impact on the viability of the device. The problem is that although everything I've seen on TestExecute suggests that it is small enough that it could not be a problem, I can't seem to find any data to prove that it is true.

I apologize if this is a strange request as far as product information goes, but I'm pretty new to TestComplete as I have just begun learning it at their request to fill in for another individual who is leaving. Has anyone ever had to prove that TestExecute did not have any significant impact on a system? Any suggestions on how to go about doing it?