Forum Discussion

DAustermeier
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago

Object checkpiont needs a different amount of time from test run to test run

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to create a very small performance test for our erp-system using Testcomplete. My testcase contains:

- logging in
- start of the stopwatch
- opening a programm in the tested application
- object checkpoint
- end of the stopwatch

Assuming that the object checkpoint would need some time to find the object on my screen I created a second test to find out how long this would be:

- start of the stopwatch
- object checkpoint
- end of the stopwatch

When I run this test with the object already on screen I get results which are quite confusing to me:
executing this test the first time the Stopwatch takes about 1500 ms and for another test run it only needs 1200 ms.

The problem I have with this is following: I can't really measure the time a programm of the tested application needs to load, because the time checkpiont needs is different from test run to test run.

Is there any possibility to avoid this problem with Testcomplete?

Thanks in advance,
David

2 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, that's about the best accuracy you're going to get. Stopwatches and such are not really performance tests and what you're working with is subject to processor threads and time slicing on the machine in question.  TestComplete needs to identify the object, do the comparison, and report the results, all of which take processor time that are not necessarily related to the actual performance of your application.  The best you can do is run several test cycles and average the values.

For better performance evaluation and profiling, you might want to consider using a tool like AQTime.

DAustermeier
      Occasional Contributor

I already suspected that. Thanks for the answer anyway. I might have a look at AQTime at some day but at the moment there is not enough time for it...

Regards, David