Forum Discussion

dpeterson
Occasional Contributor
11 years ago
Solved

Object Driven Testing Question

I've read the documentation on the ODT model, it looks like it might be useful, I've played with it.... Frankly, I just don't get it.

Has anyone ever implemented a test system using the Object Driven model? Are there any examples? I've searched, couldn't find any. Do you love it, hate it, feel ambivalent to it?

The ODT documentation seems to be really thin. There are pretty good descriptions of WHAT it is, but not much about HOW to use it, and virtually nothing about WHY I would want to.
  • TestComplete ODT approach doesn't seem to be popular because as I understand it, it was created for Delphi Scripts language (since it doesn't include object-oriented capabilities).

I rarely see people who use DelphiScript, and other languages (JScript, VBScript) have built-in OOP meanings. So, I think there are some people who use ODT approach, but most probably they are not participating this forum.

Personally I don't understand ODT (I mean, the way how it is implemented in TestComplete) as well. I tried it several years ago and found it uncomfortable.

5 Replies

karkadil
    Valued Contributor
    TestComplete ODT approach doesn't seem to be popular because as I understand it, it was created for Delphi Scripts language (since it doesn't include object-oriented capabilities).

I rarely see people who use DelphiScript, and other languages (JScript, VBScript) have built-in OOP meanings. So, I think there are some people who use ODT approach, but most probably they are not participating this forum.

Personally I don't understand ODT (I mean, the way how it is implemented in TestComplete) as well. I tried it several years ago and found it uncomfortable.
    tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    I know I'm late to the party on this one... but I have used ODT before.  As indicated above, I've used it in a DelphiScript environment where I needed to create an object oriented programming developed testing framework to create objects that could be passed back and forth between procedures and functions.  That has been my biggest reason for using it... and the only one that I know of.

I have played around with creating a set of objects that are, themselves, self-contained tests.  Using the visual WYSIWYG functionality of ODT, this is a nice non-programming way of creating modularized tests without having to necessarily write a lot of code.  You create a hierarchal structure of objects with methods and so forth where each object is a test with an execution method.

Beyond that... yeah, if you want to go OOP, use JScript or VBScript.
      DenisMedvedev
      Contributor

After installation I can not find Object-Driven Testing sample in the <TestComplete Samples>\Common\Object-Driven Testing path.
      You can see a link http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/70428/ Information about this sample describes in the end of the topic.
      Does anybody know where I can find this project.
      I will be grateful for any help, thanks in advance!!!
      My email medvedevdenis12@gmail.com

dpeterson
    Occasional Contributor
    Thanks, Gena. I'm glad I'm not the only one that was completely lost by it.