Forum Discussion

rovin
Occasional Contributor
6 years ago

Name mappings take long time to add an object. Some times i need to close testcomplete as well.

I am trying to add objects into existing name mapping but now suddenly it started taking lot of time more than 4-5 mins to add an object. So can any one tell me what should i do in that case.

4 Replies

Novari-QA
    Frequent Contributor

I also was experiancing this there are a couple steps you can do.

Right click on NameMapping and find in explorer.
    Copy this file and make a back up somewhere else.  
    Make another just in case.
    Delete the name mapping for your project
    Create a new one
    Merge with the back up you made

For some reason this really helps me. i do this once a week, i don't know why this helps.

Another solution which is something you would have to talk to your team about, but disable automatic photos when finding new objects.

You can do this by: 
    Click on Name Mapping
    Click on "Options" 
    Click on do not store

This brought my object finding from 10 seconds per object to 0.2 seconds.  

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Several things may be contributing:

1) If Extended Find is enabled on some of the ancestors of the object you are attempting to Add, TestComplete needs to do the "find" on those objects before it can proceed to add the object in question.  Additionally, if extended find is enabled to be automatically applied under Tools | Options | Engines | NameMapping "Use extended find when possible", TestComplete may be attempting to do the find on the very object you are mapping.  I would suggest turning off that option and populating some additional ancestor objects to your mapped tree to speed up this process.

2) It could be possible that some of the objects in the tree leading up to the one you are attempting to map may have the visible property set to "false".  Again, under Tools | Options | Engines | NameMapping there is an option for "search for visible objects first".  Turn that off and see if this improves mapping performance

3) By default, when a project is created, NameMapping stores images for controls upon mapping.  As far as I can tell (and I could be wrong as I don't use this feature), storing images for mapped objects is simply a helpful too just to identify the object to the person creating a test case.  It doesn't actually add any functionality or feature to the execution of tests.  For this reason, I always turn off this feature as it does add to mapping time and takes up disk space and source control space.  See the screenshot for where to turn this off

rovin
      Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the Reply, But i have taken care of all the parameters then too i am facing this challenge with Name mapping. Only there is one thing that my name mapping is huge and has most of the objects having extended find enabled.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

The extended find is what is slowing things down, I'm fairly certain.  You can try Novari-QA's suggestion.  However, I think you're going to have to make the changes to eliminate some of the usage of Extended Find to speed things up.