Forum Discussion

ANW
Contributor
14 years ago

.NET newbie need help with menustrips and submenus

Hello experts

In my new job, I am starting to test .NET applications using TestComplete. Before I tested Delphi applications.

Presently I am just messing around with a few recorded scripts to learn how to access various .NET objects in the applications. 

The first problem i came across is that the developers here use something called StripMainMenu (see first attachment). And that menu has a SubMenu. (see second and third screen shots). I want to click on a specific item on the submenu, but am unsure how to do this.

When I use the recorder, TC suggests the following code:

victorApp.StripMainMenu.Click('Værktøjer|Opret kunde');

While this works fine, I don't really want to have this kind of string in my code.

I tried this myself:

victorApp.StripMainMenu.Click(5);

victorApp.StripMainMenu.Items[5].SubMenu.Click(0);

The first line works and it activates the item i want, but when it executes the second line, the menu is closed, and it is waiting for it to become visible again.

Is there a good way around this?? ... or is that the way things work with these kind of menus?? ... if so, is there a better way to program the menus so they are more accessible for TC?

Thanks in advance

Anders

1 Reply

• Hi Anders,

TC works with strip menus as with standard Win32 menus. You can find information on this in the "Working With Menus" help topic.

If you need to work with your menu in a custom way, use its native properties and methods. There's an example here.