Forum Discussion

FlipFlorey
Occasional Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

Microsoft Dynamics CRM dropdown list troubles

Hello there,

I'm trying to select items from a dropdown list inside of our Microsoft Dynamics CRM instance. I've tried it both recording a Keyword Test and Recording a Script.

I even have used the Object Spy to rename the (Excel) link and used Name mapping to move it to the top the of the hierarchy to better find it.

It eventually works, but it takes forever to find the button and then press it. And even then it seems a tad wonky from time to time.

I'm sure I can solve this using scripting. Any advice on how to attack this? Is there a better way to get this programmatically?

Here is a bit of script that I recorded with the "Record Script" button.

function Test1()
{
  var browser;
  Browsers.Item(btChrome).Navigate("the crm page url no problems here");
  browser = Aliases.browser;

//below is where we click on the initial dropdown
  browser.pageTest16MainAs.panelCrmtopbar.panelCrmribbonmanager.link5.imageCommandbarmenudownPng.Click(5, 6);

//clicking on the button
  browser.dropdownExcel.textnode.Click(31, 7);
}

• I figured it out!
    After going around and around working with Aliases, moving things around and finally doing a deep dive into TestComplete functionality I stumbled upon Image Based Actions in the Test Steps bar in the Workspace pane. 

This worked great. I open the dropdown and place the Image Based Action right after it opens. And it clicks on it.

Seems to be working very well.

1 Reply

FlipFlorey
    Occasional Contributor

I figured it out!
    After going around and around working with Aliases, moving things around and finally doing a deep dive into TestComplete functionality I stumbled upon Image Based Actions in the Test Steps bar in the Workspace pane. 

This worked great. I open the dropdown and place the Image Based Action right after it opens. And it clicks on it.

Seems to be working very well.