Forum Discussion

odedma
Contributor
12 years ago

Mapping file is to large (+-400M)

Hi,

the mapping file got to a Huge size of about 400M.

this causes the TestComplete when loading it to get to a HUGE size of 3.4GB.

is there way to know what is taking so much size ?

this also causes Testcomplete to crash and also take along time to load and save ... 

do you have any suggestions ?

p.s.

there are no recording only object mapping (and also not allot of objects ...)

thank's 

Oded.

11 Replies

randy_1
      New Contributor

We are also experiencing this issue in TC 11. We have the "Do not store Code Completion data" active but our file size is still 400MB and has a difficult time loading on our test machines. Here are our errors when opening, "Out of Memory" and "Catastrophic Failure":

OutOfMemory.png

OutOfMemory.png

Also, the link you gave is broken.

Colin_McCrae
        Community Hero

How are you guys mapping?

Are you using the automatic/capture everything method? (Which creates a name map and alias map - which are identical) for everything? It's a very wasteful way of mapping objects.

I've just checked the name map (manual mapping and Alias creation) for the Delphi application I'm working on and it's 566kb.

A couple of web applications come in at 785kb and 400kb.

My code complete setting is "Store brief Code Completion data". I'm still using TC 10.6.

dayne_carolina
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi, 

my NameMapping file is also getting bigger (130MB), and my project suite takes 10 - 20 minutes to open, is the file size related to the time that the suite takes to open?

Machine conf.:

Intel core 2 due 2.96GHz

2GB RAM

Thanks.
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Dayne,

130 MB is quite a big size for the Name Mapping file. Have you tried modifying the Store Code Completion information option to reduce it?

dayne_carolina
    Occasional Contributor
    Thanks Tanya,

I'll give it a try.

Do you have any guess about how it happened?

I basically started a new project suite with the same steps as this suite, and the name mapping is about 3MB.

Also, what is the "ideal" name mapping size?

Thanks!
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Dayne,

I suppose the Store Code Completion information option is set to Full in your project. This makes TestComplete save a lot of information about each mapped object. Storing this information may significantly increase the file size. Actually, the Name Mapping file is a common XML file. Of course, its size will depend on how much information you will store in it.

shegde001
      Visitor

Hi,

We are using the option "Do not store the code completion data" in Name Mapping, however, our Name Mapping size has now become 568 MB. Is that usual? how can i reduce the NM size.