Forum Discussion

Tony_Wu
New Contributor
13 years ago

Licensing: TestComplete and TestExecution in a Lab Environment

Hi there,

just what to see what's the cost-effective modal if I need to have testcomplete run for a lba environment.

I knew we have Node-locked and floating license. here are some of my questions:

1. floating license support both developing/debugging testcases and running testcases with testcomplete?

2. for lab machines, we can have testexecute license then good enough?

3. should we have 1 testexecute license for each lab machine?

4. as it is lab machine, the machine will be regularly restore with different OS (like Win 7, Win Vista, Win XP on a rotate order), shall we need multi TE license for this machine? in other words, is TE license associated with physical machine only? or, sometimes, when we replace the machine, can we re-deploy this license to a new machine? to be more clear, we can only keep only one instance of one TE license alive when running in a lab?

5. if we buy several TE license, then we should have to buy at least 1 TC license which can also work as license manager?

as my team is evaluating TC and TE, and possible to deploy it into our testing lab. looking forward to seeing your feedback soon.

thanks!

Tony Wu

2 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    1. floating license support both developing/debugging testcases and running testcases with testcomplete?

Yes, so long as the number of concurrent users is not exceeded with your floating license.

2. for lab machines, we can have testexecute license then good enough?

TestExecute is the best way, AFAIK, to execute your test cases on a lab machine without having to use the full TestComplete application.  TestExecute floating licenses are the way to go for this.

3. should we have 1 testexecute license for each lab machine?

See above.  I would recommend getting enough floating licenses for TestExecute for all your lab machines.

4. as it is lab machine, the machine will be regularly restore with different OS (like Win 7, Win Vista, Win XP on a rotate order), shall we need multi TE license for this machine? in other words, is TE license associated with physical machine only? or, sometimes, when we replace the machine, can we re-deploy this license to a new machine? to be more clear, we can only keep only one instance of one TE license alive when running in a lab?

Floating licenses are not hooked to the physical machine that runs TE but are hooked to the machine running the license manager.  So, you would install the license manager in some static box in your office and make sure that it is accessible to your lab boxes.

5. if we buy several TE license, then we should have to buy at least 1 TC license which can also work as license manager?

as my team is evaluating TC and TE, and possible to deploy it into our testing lab.

I'm not sure about this one as this is more likely a sales question.  I THINK there is a way to have a TC license operate as the license manager for multiple TE licenses.