Forum Discussion

msvidya11
Occasional Contributor
13 years ago

Image comparison differs in Physical machines and VMs

Hi all,

I have a test case where I have to an image comparison. This case will be run across different machines including physical machine and VMs.

I have taken an image in an physical machine and stored in Regions. The image comparison succeeds in all the physical machines even in different resolutions. But when I run the case in a virtual machine, the image comparison fails even thought the its the image is same in the application in the regions.

When I take a image in a VM and store it in regions, then the case runs in the VMs but fails in the physical machine. 

Please guide me on this to resolve the issue. 

Thanks,

Vidya

1 Reply

irina_lukina
    Super Contributor

Hi Vidya,

There are a lot of factors that affect image comparison and may cause its failure. For example, the physical and virtual machines may have different operating systems installed on them. In such cases, images may look similar, but they still will be different for TestComplete. To avoid such situations, you can change the checkpoint properties so that TestComplete ignores a slight difference between the captured images.

There are some helpful links below that contain more detailed information on image comparison and the factors affecting it:

1. Why Image Comparison Fails

This topic provides information on possible reasons of image comparison failures.

2. Factors Affecting Image Comparison

This topic provides information on the factors that affect image comparison and may cause comparison failures.

3. Comparing and Finding Images - Specific Tasks

This topic contains information on how to make the comparison and search procedures "smarter".

I hope this helps :)