Forum Discussion

Shakir
New Contributor
7 years ago

Identify Child elements using Object Spy

How can I identify child elements using Object Spy for desktop apps. For example there is a Status bar with date, coordinates, Region Name but when I spy it only identifies the status bar and cannot spy the elements present in status bar that is I want to read the coordinates from the status bar using Object Spy

8 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

A lot of it depends upon the components themselves.  In your case, depending upon the component, the items you are looking for may not actually be child objects but properties of the status bar itself.  I know there are components that I work with that are perceived in that way.

If you can post a screenshot of the properties of the status bar you are working with, we might be able to help you identify what you are looking for.

Shakir
      New Contributor

Thanks for the reply, PFA is the status bar having coordinates, date&time and many other properties, I want to read the coordinates present in that status bar

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

Sorry, what we are looking for are the properties from Object Spy!   Point to your object and use Advanced and then take a screenshot of that and post it.

What is likely is that there is an Index field or something similar that has your embedded objects in it.  That's what tristaanogre meant when he said there might not be child objects.

If you post the screenshot of the Object Spy details, we can help you guess at the fields you need to reference those objects.